• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to cut CTL/Excavator track

jimpad

I want to take some old tracks and put them across a water crossing. I've tried sawzall and cutting torch but it's a major chore. Anyone have some tips?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
BTW, should mention they're rubber tracks
That's why I suggested that particular method of cutting them, and the use of water as a lubricant. If you want to successfully cut rubber - wet the knife first. That's why tyres tend to cut on machines that are operated in wet & rocky underfoot conditions. The disc cutter would also slice through the steel cords in the track like the proverbial knife through butter.

I suppose that the type of cutter I'm suggesting could be rented.
upload_2021-4-14_18-24-6.png

jimpad

Good points. The other thing that exacerbates the problem is the tendency of the track to pinch the blade... hard to get it held to where it won't bind.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
That’s why the disc cutter works so well. The track can be bent in the same form as it is when it goes over the sprocket and cut starting from the outside right across the width. As you do that the cut will open for you and the blade won’t get trapped.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I cut a lot of conveyor belting, that I use for guarding, with an old steak knife or utility blade. Same issue with pinching blades using a utility knife when cutting rubber. Run a 6x6 or other large object under the center of the cut and press down on the opposite sides to form a convex curve. Like Nige said, this will open the cut as it is cut and make life easier.

I like the idea of the gas saw with an abrasive blade and cooling spray. I've rented those for doing concrete cuts and they work fast. I should have used that and cut lots of guards when I had it rented for the day.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Just cut one off a machine last week. Sawzall with good blades, get it setup where it naturally wants to open the cut as you go and spray the blade with PB Blaster/WD-40 etc while you cut. Soak it, no such thing as too much. You may have to play around with position of cut but the sawzall will do it.

jimpad

Update.

I laid tracks across forks, put garden hose on cut and cut them with a sawzall. Success is greatly dependent on setup so you don't get binding of the blade... if you've got it setup correctly you can sawzalll through in 1 minute, if not, you wont get through the cut.

If I had to do it again I'd put my forks 1 foot apart and lay track on forks such that I was cutting through the depth of the track (not the width), and the weight of the tracks would keep the cut open.

Needless to say, you should be on a GFI circuit if using AC sawzall.