• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How to cut open a filter

movindirt

Ok guys, stupid question, but how would you go about cutting open a spin on hydraulic oil filter? With the metal case I couldn't figure out a real easy way to do it without getting bunch of the metal case into it, which is the reason I am wanting to cut it open in the first place :Banghead :confused:

DIYDAVE

I'd do it with an abrasive chopsaw, near the top (housing end) if there's metal in it, it will likely be in the bottom and all throughout. The chopsaw shoots most of the sparks in a straight line, and likely won't send any much more than an inch , or so, down. Otherwise, you'd have to rig up something, on a lathe or drill press...:D

Cmark

Grip it horizontally in a vice and cut round it with a hacksaw about half an inch from the top. Pull out the paper element and with a sharp knife, cut out a section about two inch square away from the end that you just contaminated with filings from the hacksaw. Drape a rag over the vice jaws and squash the sample to squeeze the oil out of it.

You can buy a filter cutter if you find yourself doing a lot of them or if you just want a more professional look. Cat part number 175-7456.

Labparamour

image.jpg
I have one of these exhaust pipe cutters....not sure if it is long enough to go around larger filters.
But, it cuts real nice.

DB

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Thats not a stupid question and Id say most mechanics don't even know the right way, I think the filter cutter tool is best, the CAT one. Everything else is messy, don't ever use a air hammer and chisel hahaha.

Delmer

If you have to hack it, set it on it's end and use a chisel or punch to put a hole in the top of it. Use an aviation snips to spiral out from that hole until the cut is close enough to the edge that you can cut the corner off by cutting around the side and bending the corner out of the way as you go, then the element will come out in one piece.

Last edited:

JD955SC

We use filter cutters. I've seen ones from aviation supply places at reasonable prices but don't know how large they go. I don't know what the Cat price is but I know it's a good one

movindirt

Thanks guys!! :thumbsup I don't cut many filters open, but I just got a "new" used machine and serviced it the other day and wanted to cut them open and see what they looked like. I'll it a shot and see what I find.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I have a cutter from Jegs or Summit. We bought them back in the racing days and they've cut everything I've needed them to so far. There are some hydraulic and trans filters they have a tough time with. That video would work on most until you get a Cat filter with the cast head, I'm not sure there's enough of a seam to get onto with snips. All good ways to accomplish the task I suppose.

Junkyard

DIYDAVE

Was at an auction, today, got a filter cutter, for $27.50. It looks kinda like the one in the link, below, but has 2 cutter wheels, 'steada just the one, and a larger diameter filter capacity. Might be a Cat cutter, there was some other Cat stuff, at this sale... Might try it out, tomorrow, just for kicks...

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/8053...TfaownldWtbO_-YPh8C65UbAQAUM-qw2sKBoClSjw_wcB

Appears to be a Cat, it looks like this:

https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/175-7546

Anybody know how much Cat Charges for it?

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That's the one I have in my work truck and in the race trailer. Seems to work well. Hard to say how many filters they've cut open. If it's like that it'll be handy to have.

Junkyard

DIYDAVE

Cut open the oil filter, from my Isuzu NPR, diesel, today. It's the biggest one I have handy, about 5-6" diameter, and it was easy as pie... Man, that tool is slicker than snot on a doorknob! Methinks I'm gonna start cutting open filters, and stringin them together, as redneck wind chimes!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Haha now there's an idea! I've looked at the pile of springs I have from them trying to figure out what I can do with those too. Some of them are pretty darn stout.

DIYDAVE

Haha now there's an idea! I've looked at the pile of springs I have from them trying to figure out what I can do with those too. Some of them are pretty darn stout.

Wrap a piece of fishing wire around them, and use them as the clapper, in a big filter, viola, redneck dinner bell!:D