• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How young is too young to run a 312?

Eric

101_0563.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist my little boy is learning the trade!!

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Man if that pic don't bring back memories, being 4 years old and dad letting me drive the dozer about a mile back in a field road. Had to decel using the throtle lever but didn't go very fast in the first place. It was either me drive it or the truck or dad and I each were going to have a long walk. Start em young.
Trbo

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
Iv seen that video before and that kid is pretty good. He will be a great operator i think.

N.CarolinaDozer

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Never To Young!

I think it's great your teaching your son. I wish I had a chance when I was young! If I have a son, I'll teach him as much as possible! Keep on going man, thats our (operator's) future generation.

Freightrain

Dang....all I had was Tonka toys.............
As long as you teach him safety and responsibility I can't see a reason not to have him learn young.

RKO

101_0563.jpg

No such thing as too young. I was 5 when I learn to run equipment. When I started my own company a neighbor kid always was with me and I taught him to run equipment at age 6. He now works for a major Construction company doing their trouble jobs. He makes a good living and makes more than I do in a year???

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
101_0563.jpg

Thats about the age when I started... I was on a 220 size machine

I have to ask.. what is that you have strapped on the two boom cylinders??? Homemade guard to protect the cylinders?

stumper120

:) those guards are probably bacause the machine has a hammer or pulverizer on it. i bet the kid works cheaper than the morons i got working for me and requires the same amount of supervision.:) bet he never shows up for work hungover to.

RKO

:) those guards are probably bacause the machine has a hammer or pulverizer on it. i bet the kid works cheaper than the morons i got working for me and requires the same amount of supervision.:) bet he never shows up for work hungover to.

stumper
That made my day
I think everyone has someone that works for them like that.
I don't know why I put up with it sometimes.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Those 2 x 4's look like they would protect the cylinders from the teeth on the bucket from having another close rendezvous.

Eric

Thanks guys, We run a BTI 3000# hammer. The Guy I work for has 3 machines all have quick connects so we can go from hammer to bucket in less than a minute. Those are highway markers protecting the cylinders. They work really good to
My son has been sitting on my lap since he was about 18 months old. I don't let him run the machine by him self like the video guy did. I would NEVER let a little one run anythin he wasn't belted into. I kinda cringed watching the video. That kid obviously has been worked with and his pappy done good with him too. But I would never forgive myself if my kid accidentally hit the swing to hard or something else and was thrown from the cab.... or worse.
I know a guy in town that was almost killed when he acidentally hit the swing lever with his leg when he was looking out of the cab going into the shop, it pinched his head between the cab and the shop door and it was awful. There is no reason he is still alive.
I can't teach my boys to be doctors and such, but I do pass on to them what I know.

YoungOne

Didnt even lay eyes on a piece of equipment til i was around ten. And after that my head never stopped turning while passing it on the road.

Hope he loves it as much as his father does.

-Michael-