• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hyd Cylinder Rebuild?

deeredriver

I have a cylinder(stick cylinder) on my deere 690 ELC that is leeking pretty good. I was able to get a rebuild kit from deere, that consisted of a couple of seals and a couple o rings. I Any tips on which way is best to tear into this? I was thinking about just pulling the rod end pin, unbolting the rod end cap and pull the rod out? Or is it best to pull the whole cylinder off the machine? I have rebuilt cylinders before, but not on top of a excavator. I know someone here has done it a time or two, and I can use all the information I can get. Thanks!

ben46a

Easier and safer to pull it off. Are you going to take the rod the dealer to get the nut off? or just replace the piston seals? That nut is torqued tight, sometimes we can get them off with the rod held in a press, a pipe wrench and a looooong pipe.

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
On a big machine like that you should send it out to be repacked. I don't bother with anything that big on my machines, We just send them out.

Lashlander

I've repacked several cylinders off of Komatu PC200s and a Cat 235. If I remember right, on the 200 the upright cylinders polish rod nut is torqued to 7500 ft lbs. I live on an island in the gulf of Alaska so taking them to the dealer is not an option. Taking them to the dealer isn't a bad idea though.
I'll start by taking the top pin out. Lay them flat on blocks and unbolt the end and pull the polish rod out of the barrel. Then unpin the barrel and set it aside. Pin the polish rod in its place and lay on blocks out near the piston. You can put a mark on the rod and nut so you can tighten them back to the same position. We have a bunch of old grizzly bars that are 1"X8" by 15' steel plate. I have cut wrenches out of them. I use a loader or hoe bucket to push it down to loosen the nut. Pull the piston off and repack. Retorque the same way. Now your ready to put it back together.

deeredriver

Now I know I am in trouble. 7500 Ft. Lbs? How in the heck do the dealers get these things off? I was just planning on putting my 3/4" ingersol rand hammer on it. I guess it is time to throw it in the back of my truck and head to the dealer!

Lashlander

Most dealers have a bench they can pin it on and hydraulic torque wrenches to turn the nuts. If I had a dealer near by I'd have them do it. It can be done though.

surfer-joe

You can do this in the field yourself. I've done it before by digging a hole and lowering the stick and bucket down in it so that the top of the boom and stick cylinder are close to working height from the ground. Make sure it's stable and won't buckle on you. Used a couple of good 4X4's and 3/4" plywood laid across the hole so we didn't fall in. As I recall, this model has a threaded head gland.

Remove stick end pin. Prop cylinder assembly up off boom with crib block. Suck rod all the way back into cylinder. Shut machine off and TAG OUT OF SERVICE!! Can't remember if this model has set-screws in head gland to secure it to barrel threads, but look and remove first if it does. Loosen the cylinder head gland, then the cylinder base-end hose fitting and drain oil into proper container and dispose of according to regulations. Remove head gland with rod and piston assembly. It's heavy and slippery, use a hoist and nylon sling. Remove piston retainer(s) and piston from rod. Remove old seals and o-rings from piston and head gland. You may have to replace the head gland wear bushing if it is equipped with one. Clean all three pieces thoroughly and check closely for other damage such as cracks and gouges. Check rod for straightness. Check cylinder bore for damage.

Hopefully everything metallic is in good condition. But it's a good time to replace the rod eye bushing if it's worn out. Get torque specs from dealer before reassembly. You may have to rent, barrow, or make a tool to obtain certain torques, but do not just use an air impact wrench to tighten retainers. Worst thing in the world you can do for final assembly.

Carefully reinsert rod into head gland and install piston and retainer(s). Do check to make sure piston is securely tightened to rod, again as close to factory specs as possible. Carefully install new seals and o-rings on piston. Push rod thorough head gland a foot or more. Carefully insert resealed piston and rod assembly back into cylinder barrel. Push rod and piston assembly a little ways into barrel. Very carefully rethread head gland onto barrel. Tighten head gland onto barrel as close to factory torque specs as you can. Reinstall set-screws if equipped. Tighten cylinder base end hydraulic fitting. Start machine and at low idle carefully run cylinder all the way in and back out all the way. Do this several time to eliminate air in cylinder and lines. Line up rod eye and re-pin with old or new pin as needed or desired. Check hydraulic oil reservoir and refill to fill mark.

Now, check base end pin and bushing wear. If desired, remove stick cylinder base pin and prop base end up on crib blocks. Replace base end bushing. Remove crib block and reinstall base end with old or new pin as needed. Grease pins and bushings. Remove plywood and 4x4's. Exercise stick, bucket and boom. Bury hole. Go get a cold one and congratulate yourself for a job well done.

All this said, you can hire a independent mechanic to come in and do the work, while you sit in the shade watching and quaffing a cold soda. You or he can remove the cylinder assembly as well and take it to a hydraulic re-builder in your area, or a Deere dealer. The last two will have a hydraulic bench that can easily remove and install the retaining hardware, and also make it easier to remove/install rod and piston assembly. You also get a warranty from the dealers, and you certainly want to ask an independent wrench buster to warranty his work.

If you take the cylinder off yourself, you will still need to make sure the boom and stick are secure and that you can safely work around it.

You can use a scaffold or the back of a truck for a work platform either way instead of digging a hole, but it's a bit more awkward and you climb up and down a lot, not a small consideration when you figure in the slippery footing from the oil you will spill. You will need a hoist of some kind for this.

Best of luck!!

DirectTech

Occupation
Mechanic
At the dealer that I work at we have a hyd cyl. bench with a hyd. torque wrench, most deere cyl. that i have worked on are toruqed to 3000 ft lbs, the hyd wrench is 1 1/2" drive I have broken the stud on a few adapters from being so tight, my advice would be take it to any local dealer they will have a much easier and safer time with it.

deeredriver

I went to the deere dealer to pick up some parts and i started asking them about it. They then took me back to the shop and showed me the bench. They pin down the end, and then the have a hyd cylinder, and pump mounted on one end. They have some special wrenches that fit the nut and attach to the end of there cylinder. They then use the bench cylinder to push the nut. They said it would go to 10,000 ft lbs. They said it would take them 2-3 hrs@ $80.00 per hour for them to rebuild it. I am just going to take it off and let them have the headache!

Last edited: