• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hyd. thumb

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Self employed in the excavating buis and have been
I just built a hydraulic thumb for my Kamatstu pc 40 excavator. The problem is I can't get it to retract on its own.It has to be pushed back by the bucket.No problem clamping though. Of course the machine has auxsillary hyd. WHen I try to retract or pull back the thumb it just sits there and sounds like the pressure reliefe valve is dumping?
Any body have any inputs on what might be wrong ? I have used it the way it is but a bit of a pain when the thumb does not stay all the way back. Otherwise it works just fine.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
You must have 2 way hydraulics? Not to sure

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
thumb

check the lines out the boom I believe you will find one is pressure and one is tank on most small excavators you can change one line at the base of the boom to make it two way flow

BIGDAN315

Occupation
ok dirthog I will give it a try..thanks

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
That's what it sounds like. The line that is supposed to retract the thumb is a return to tank, unpressurized line. This is used for breakers or hoepacs that only use 1 way hydraulics.

BIGDAN315

Occupation
That's what it sounds like. The line that is supposed to retract the thumb is a return to tank, unpressurized line. This is used for breakers or hoepacs that only use 1 way hydraulics.

I see so how do I make it a pressure line.:confused:

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
breaker

Check and see if there is another port comeing out where the lines hook up at the base of the boom you will have to switch the tank line to it. should be the pressure line from the other side of the valve that works the breaker.

KAC=CATeater

I cant remember off the top of my head but on many kac excavators there is a selector valve that shows a breaker and a grapple. You just have to turn the valve to grapple. Your particular unit may or may not have this valve on it, but if you see one (usually under the right hand cover) put it in the other direction.