• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hydraulic fittings set up

shadow2

i was wonder if its worth it to get a set up to make my own hydraulic hoses. the nearest shop to us that make hose is an hour away.

how much and what is a good set up to start

ianjoub

You would have to stock hose and more importantly all the fittings you may need. You could have thousands of $$$ in and still not have what you need when you break a hose.

DIYDAVE

Alternative, buy a used machine like at an auction, then stock what you need...

Ct Farmer

I wondered for years if getting a crimping machine was worth the effort and expense. Then the Volvo started popping pilot lines this spring. Local Parker store price was crazy for these. Even when ordered onlne the cost with shipping was pretty hefty and I had to wait for them to get here.

I suppose if the machine was on a paying job at $350 an hour a $100 hose would be cheap, but when it really is a farm tool things are a little different. So I looked for a machine at auctions, craigslist etc.

Finally found one a few weeks ago at a great price and came with boxes of fittings. It was a local craigslist deal.
It is great. Cut my hose price by half or more and I get them right away and to exact size.

If you do this there are a few things to learn. First, there are 2 kinds of machines - postive stop and adjustable. Positve stop is easy to use as there is no adjust but you are limited to specific hose and fittings. Adjustable machines can do any fittings but you must be willing to learn crimp specs, measure and adjust as needed. All come in various sizes (tonnage) to crimp certain fittings.

You will need to stock hose, fittings, adapters etc. but the reality is most things run on 3/8, 1/2 or 3/4 hose. A decent selection of 100r1 and 100r2 hose will cover a lot of things. Most smaller machines will do these. Medium machines can do up to 1" 4-wire. When you get to 4 and 6 wire for really high pressure things you can stock jsut a bit or buy them as you need assembled.

The first thing I would look at is what hoses you would want to make. Then look at cost. There is a lot to learn about safely making good hoses but if you are willing to put in the effort ypu can save a ton of money and downtime.