• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic motor types for skid steer brush cutter

fourwheelinj1

Occupation
Project Manager
I have been researching brush cutters for our JD 333G high flow skid steer. We will use it to help clear/maintain 3-4 miles of sewer outfall that we will be working on for the next 1.5 Years or so. We will use it pretty good for the initial cutting then fairly sparingly after that. Spending $10k isn’t an option so to major name brands are out. I have narrowed it down to MTL xc7 and Rut TERMINATOR XP. I know MTL doesn’t have the best customer service but I have read lots of good things about their cutters. They offer a high flow SAI hydraulics radial piston motor in my price range. The Rut offers a similar cutter for $600 more but it has a permco hydraulic gear motor with case drain. I have always heard the piston motors were better for heavy and long duration use. The Rut guy said they don’t use radial piston because they are too problematic especially from contamination from dirty couplers. He said their gear motor is has just as much torque as the radial piston but I am having are hard time believing that. He said other cheaper motors are georotor but his is a true gear motor whatever that means. Can someone educate me on the differences from a radial piston and “true gear motor”. Both use case drains which I am fine with.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Radial piston motors are usually high torque low speed motors where the piston are placed at 90 degrees to the rotational movement of the drive shaft. They are used for some mini and midi excavator swing functions as they don't necessarily need a reduction gear. These motors are very rugged and expensive. They do not handle contamination very well. These motors can be built to be bi-directional. I've seen radial piston motors running in systems up to 5,000 PSI.

Axial piston motors set the pistons parallel to the drive shaft and obtain rotational movement by forcing the piston feet against a tilted plate usually known as a swash plate. These motors are usually high speed and low torque and are commonly found with gear reduction units mechanically attached to the output shafts. These types of motors are built to very close tolerances, will be damaged easily by contaminated oil and are very expensive. These motors can be built to be bi-directional. Axial piston pumps and motors are common in 5,000 PSI systems.

Gear motors are exactly as described. They are two gear that mesh with each other. Oil is forced in one side of the pump and around the outside of the gears in the spaces between the teeth. These motors can be built bi-directional and they are very common throughout most industries. They are rugged and can take more contamination than either of the piston motors above. They are relatively inexpensive compared to piston type motors. These types of motors can be found in systems running up to around 2,900 PSI. Pump cases are usually the weak point and crack or just start leaking after a finite amount of pressure cycles.

The gerotor pump is a single gear with external teeth meshing inside a circle gear that only meshes in one spot with the internal gear. They are inexpensive and mostly thought of in the hydraulics world as cheap. They have low torque and usually low to mid speed. The type is used more for lube oil pumps in many internal combustion engines and are common as power steering pumps in cars. They will take some contamination and lose efficiency but still provide enough flow to accomplish their task. These types of motors are low pressure, low to medium flow, and are the least expensive to purchase.

Your sales rep has a point about contamination being introduced through the quick couplers but that shouldn't be much of a problem with good cleaning practices when installing the cutter on the machine. On the other hand a gear motor is a whole lot less expensive to replace compared to a piston motor and shock loads on cutter heads clearing brush are very common occurrences. There are other here that are more experienced with mulchers and cutter heads that can comment on which type of drive motor works better for them.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Rexroth bent axis piston hydraulic motors have a good life span and were fitted on Fecon, FAE and AHWI forestry mulchers and various brands of forestry processing heads. The idea of the bent axis is to increase the torque
To calculate the motor RPMs divide the machine hydraulic flow by the motor size. The motor size is the quantity of oil required to do 1 rotation .
Flow = speed, pressure = power. Don't get fooled into believing you can have max flow with max pressure, it doesn't work like that but you get 1 or the other.
Southcott and Berendsen hydraulics have all the information you require
www.berendsenhydraulics.com.au
https://g.co/kgs/t7hJBZ

Last edited:

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
https://g.co/kgs/XVKJ5N
A link to all the information you'll require
Here you can figure out what size motor you require to match your machine hp, speed and pressure.

fourwheelinj1

Occupation
Project Manager
The axial piston isn’t an option on theses cutters due to cost. I guess my main question is can a gear motor put out the same torque and efficiency as a radial piston as the guy from Rut claims?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Sure it can. It just won’t last as long given the same maintenance. That amount of life is subjective and should be considered in light of the costs of each motor.
Also, a bent axis piston motor is fixed displacement so will operate at whatever flow and pressure that you supply to it.