• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydraulic Problem, Drum not turning with wheels

alaskaforby4

Occupation
Owner Operator
I have a Sakai SV70D, It has been a great roller until recently it decided it doesn't want to leave the shop.

It was about 10*f here when I fired it up and broke it free from its resting spot and loaded up on a the icy trailer with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes it likes to move when idling in Neutral so I also put the gear selector in neutral while I chained it down and drove a couple miles to the shop. Once there I changed the engine oil and looked over everything. It was in the shop for about a week.
I finally decided to bring it back to the yard so I took the semi to load it up. I fired it up and tried to load it on the trailer and it would not climb the ramps, the back tires will spin out but the drum does not turn with power. I then drove it up and down the street in forward and reverse, 1st and 2nd gear, vibrating High and Low. Everything works as it should I just don't have power to the drum?
So I put it in 2nd gear and ran up on an inclined snowbank and I could get the drum to take off spinning like it should but the wheels then stop turning, I then repeated this in reverse for the same effect. Once I stopped and started again the wheels would begin spinning but no drum. I was unable to get the drum to spin in 1st gear.
It sounds as simple as a priority valve or some sort of sticky valve malfunctioning but the lines that come off the main hydraulic pump go down to the rear axle motor and simply "tees" off of that motor and goes directly to the drum motor. So whatever the wheels are getting the drum is getting as well.

I then brought it back inside and jacked it off the ground and tried forward and reverse and everything (wheels and drum) spun normally. I then lowered the drum to the ground and it does not have enough power to spin the drum.

I then thought that maybe it had picked something up in the tank suction so I drained the Hyd. tank and the screen/filter is perfect. My next thought was maybe the inlet or outlet filter caught some water and swelled up causing a restriction?

New filters are on order although I did just change them 130 hrs ago. I am really grasping at straws now so and ideas are appreciated, Thanks!

Attachments

• 1620532_689300054442113_1837299325_n.jpg
    1620532_689300054442113_1837299325_n.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 132

sheepfoot

Most will do that unless it has a diverter valve installed. I have not been around a sakai roller but I would re visit the operator manual if you have one for it. It could be a sensor, fuse, relay, switch, connector that's causing your issue. Back in the late 70 early 80 we had several that would pull to the least amount when loading and send you off the trailer quick when it switched to the drum from the rear wheels pulling. Most units now have a flow divider between the drum and axle motor with a auto or manual engage system to aid in loading and roller performance. I seem to think the IR unit that we rented last had a manual lockup switch.