• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hydro seeding, its not just for St Patricks day, anymore

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
We have been Hydro seeding for several years using a smaller Finn hydro seeder and we are mainly shooting development roadsides.

We refer big acerage to a friendly compeditor who returns the favor by refering smaller jobs to us. That way I don't spend all my time fetching water and he doesn't spend all his time dodging oak limbs.

We use liquid lime, oregon grown broadleaf seed ( when in season), lovegrass when appropriate, fertilizer, mulch with tack, and soil ammenities mostly pre-packaged by our local Finn dealer who delivers to site.

We have the seeder mounted on a F-350 diesel dualie because so many grassers can't pull a hydro-seed trailer up the hills in the mountainous area in which we are located. There is a semi-trash pump (11,000 gallons per hour)on the truck so that pond or lake water may be used in areas without rural or city hydrants.
[ get a contract or receipt from your water authority before you use public water, depending on many factors, you may be able to purchase water from the hydrant system]

I am really interested in any green thumb type knowledge anyone has, one recent area of interest I have is seed soak time. When we're real busy we have to mix and shoot but, what are the optimum soak times? Is it better to have lime and fertilizer in the mix when the seeds soak or not? Polymers or glue?

If I failed to find a hydro-seed thread and this is redundant, click on the "Roast new thread" link.
Thanx

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I know some of our members here have some experience in this, but if you find you don't get the answers you're looking for, try GroundTradesXchange.com. It's another message board run by Stonehenge who has helped us out here a great deal. There's a hot link at the top of the page to take you there.