• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

i found the 160M AWD the Holt CA has...

9420pullpan

P1010292.JPG

P1010293.JPG

as you can see there are aux control to the left with a small joystick i assume that they would be for a snow plow front blade im sure that the ripper control is on the too

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I see the right joy stick but nothing on the left side. You have better coverage then our local Cat dealer.

killdozer

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Forget Fixin it Yourself

What I see when I look at the controls on the 160M CAT Grader is another attempt by OEM engineers to bring as much repair work to dealer repair shops as possible. Controls are neither instinctive nor automatic to the operator's hands anymore so I foresee a lot more so-called operator-error accidents in the making.
In many cases repairs to these computerized systems will be able to be made only by dealer shop or field mechanics with special diagnostic equipment. This kind of thing can only raise the cost of equipment so it is out of the hands of most smaller fleets and only the big boys can compete.
CAT 16G graders used to cost a quarter-million dollars, this extensive computerization can only send that cost sky-rocketing toward a half-million dollars and I'd bet there is still no place for the operator to keep his coffee jug, water jug, and lunch bucket on board. I'll also bet there is still no flat place or cup-holder to set a cup of coffee until it gets cool enough to drink it either.
Crack the windshield and you can't call the local glass-man; its another dealer item.

MY PAPPY SEZ "The Basic Rules of Business Are: You can have it FAST; You can have it GOOD; You can have it CHEAP. Take yer pick of any two out of the three, but you can't have all three."

Last edited:

dayexco

a transition to new technology is a hard one for those of us that are older. i remember when they took away our points and condenser, gave us electronic ignition. the typewriter, gave us a word processor, got rid of the adding machine, gave us an electronic calculator. when they took away the carbs, and gave us fuel injection, when we got rid of batter boards, and went to pipe lasers. remember color tv's in the 60's? ...costs $500 plus, in 60's dollars. now a much better unit, is half that money. all of these technologies were expensive initially, but have proven themselves in the long run to be more efficient, have more longevity, and more cost effective in the long run.

Grader4me

For us older operators this new technology is almost overwhelming. Over the years we have programmed ourselves to the basic control patterns, and all that we had to get use to was better hydraulics as these machines evolved.

For me to sit in one of these new graders would be like having to start all over again learning the new controls.I am sure that a person could get use to it, but it would be awkward for awhile.

Having said that I can't help but be impressed with the new design. Once you did get used to it, probally even an old operator will think they died and went to heaven:yup

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I am still looking for the down side of sitting in an air conditioned dozer in 100 degree weather spreading dry topsoil.Oh,yea....maybe it is having to drive home in your pickup without A/C.Ron G:bouncegri

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
killdozer, I'm sorry to hear that the new series isn't all you had wanted. I certainly don't speak on behalf of Cat, as I'm not affiliated with them, but I do know that the rationale behind their product strategy is to offer the best product with features that distinguish it from its competition. The logical step for motor graders would be to make them easier to operate; the industry seems to be changing toward younger operators who are by definition more familiar with "electronics." Certainly, many operators still move through the ranks from mechanic up to manager, but I'd bet this decision was not a snap-decision. It represents significant risk for Cat -- after all, Cat is betting on brand-new technology to replace technology that's been for decades -- and certainly Cat has a lot riding on it. The engineers who design it are as much people as you and I, and do, in fact, take pride in their work. Design decisions aren't always based on cost or making the machine only serviceable at the dealer. I've worked among Cat engineers, and let me tell you, the combined expertise and heritage and pride that they put in is one of the most incredible work environments I've even been in. Maybe the M-series isn't perfect for everyone, but I argue that it offers the first revolution in the segment in two decades. The change isn't even a performance change that makes the grader suddenly more productive: it's a human factors change that gives the young a chance to learn a machine. And it's this type of progress that makes me proud, excited, and above all, honored to have worked for Cat.

CAT140H

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I had a chance to operate the 140M for about 15 minutes, there wasn't much time due to other operators and time concerns. I have operated graders for over 25 years and after I drove it for those 15 minutes I can say that it will not take very long to master the controls. The steering is quite easy and responsive. Once you master where all the controls are your on your way. After 15 minutes I was driving it quite easily. We moved some dirt around also and made her work.
The cab is something else to.
It will be a great Grader
We couldn't take pictures so keep all the pictures coming in this forum.

Last edited:

9420pullpan

i made a mistake it is to the right of the right joystick in the second to last pic

like i have said before i can not wait to run it i love the fly by wire feel

Grader4me

CAT140H said:
I had a chance to operate the 140M for about 15 minutes, there wasn't much time due to other operators and time concerns. I have operated graders for over 25 years and after I drove it for those 15 minutes I can say that it will not take very long to master the controls. The steering is quite easy and responsive. Once you master where all the controls are your on your way. After 15 minutes I was driving it quite easily. We moved some dirt around also and made her work.
The cab is something else to.
It will be a great Grader
We couldn't take pictures so keep all the pictures coming in this forum.

Welcome to the forum:) Nice to hear from someone that has actually operated one of these. I would have thought that it would have taken more time to master the controls.
So I guess there is hope for us older operators after all. Sounds like you had a blast. Any place to hold a coffee cup?:wink2

keerym

I've run a 140M and 160M as well. As far as the comment goes about the controls not being intuative, that is someone speaking with out any experience. The controls are far more intuative than the current layout, and will be relatively easy to pick up. Like any change in control pattern, it takes a little getting used to, but the learning curve is quick. Most operators that have been on a machine, young and old, like the controls after they get used to them. There have been some complaints about visibility that will be addressed by first production. The real advantage here is when you start to integrate grade control systems. Everything is now built in, no add ons. With the grader market moving more and more in that direction, having it already integrated with the machine will be a huge benefit.

Grader4me

keerym said:
There have been some complaints about visibility that will be addressed by first production.

Hi Keerym,that surprises me. Where is the visibility problem? It seems that with the controls taken from the front, this would make it much better to see the moldboard etc. Would the problem be on the right side where the wing/plow controls could create sight problems?

Last edited by a moderator:

keerym

There was a small issue with visibility to the front tires and to the heel of the blade when angled. They have fixes for both, which will make the visibility that much better. I've seen some early Deere sales information against the M-Series that pointed out these issues. Sorry Deere, looks like you have a non-issue on your hands. Cat has also been tweaking a few other things on the machines just to work out a few minor issues. I can't wait, I only wish they were all on sale today.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
keerym, glad to have your opinion. :)

I'm also surprised that Deere is already targeting the M-series; seems someone is a little worried.

keerym

Deere is concerned about the M-Series. They are doing everything they can to push machines out this year ahead of the M. Volvo is known to also be working on joystick controls, but that should take them some time. You don't develop this in a year and throw it on your machine. Deere is more worried about the 120M AWD. They have sold that 672 for years with no real competition. The new AWD is far superior to the system on the 143 and 163, so it should give Deere a real run for their money.

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
hey pullpan, you got any pics of the cat in the back?. by the way, how do you like your new location?

Attachments

• P1010291.JPG
    P1010291.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 386

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Huh, I didn't even notice that back there. What is that, some sort of pile driver or something?

9420pullpan

i was soo excited just to sit in that m series i didnt take any pics of that particular one in the backround but i do know what they do and i have some pics of them. i saw one back in pa they we drilling the colums for a sound barrier it had an auger attachment on it check it out below
the first pic is some of those machines that were sittin around at the cat dealership

holt misc.JPG

cat auger.jpg

cat auger 2.jpg

cat auger 3.jpg

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
:eek: This is one of the few times I can say "I have never seen one of those".