• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I just bought a Huber Warco 4D grader

It seems to be all there, other than tires being terribly cracked it's not in terrible shape. All the hydraulics work, and there are some chains in the back under the engine that will be a big deal this winter, if they fit.

I have no idea how to run one, but when the ground firms up a little I'll start figuring it out. In the mean time it really needs an oil change.

The engine is a GM model 4025. I'm guessing that's a Detroit 4-53?

skyking1

Congrats, Nels. Get the serial numbers gathered up so people can help out the best they can.

I don't have a good picture of the name plate yet, so here's the info I can read.

Stock No AF 3805-554-5124
Ser No MD-757, Reg. No. 60D 25
MFG. Huber Warco Co Model 4D
Cont No 88A45100-11 Date MFGD 5-6?

Eng. Ser.No. 4481747 (or maybe 4A at the start?)

Just for reference, here's a picture of the name plate after a bit of cleanup. Pretty sure the Date MFGD is 5-60.

Turns out there are military manuals for these, so I found copies on fleabay: operator's, parts list and depot maintenance. They were a whole lot cheaper than the HW manuals! Hopefully they'll be adequate.

Attachments

• Cleaned.up.name.plate.jpg
    Cleaned.up.name.plate.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
Does anyone know what oil filters I need? NAPA doesn't have an entry in their computer for a Detroit 4-71.

I'm pretty sure there are two canister oil filters, one larger, horizontal, near the radiator end of the engine, one smaller, vertical, near the flywheel end. If anyone has NAPA or other part numbers for those, it would surely be helpful.

The Baldwin catalog led me to an obsolete, sock type bypass filter. Cross referenced it at Wix to find 51002.
The Wix catalog led me to 51133, the full flow filter.

Both catalogs had the HW4D, neither catalog had both filters.

I like RockAuto's catalog. Often shipping kills the deal, though. I look stuff up there, then go shopping. Parts that have a core aren't worth returning to them, again shipping is too high.

I wind up getting a lot from the local NAPA, they have OK folks at the counter and usually get me stuff same day or next business day.

Welder Dave

Is there a DD dealer you could go to or talk to? Maybe there's an updated filter or a more common filter canister(s) that could replace the ones on it?

Now I just have to find those filters on the machine. The big, horizontal one is easy. The candidates on the flywheel end, driver side turned out the be fuel filters. Still looking for the smaller, vertical one. The Army manual gives me a good closeup of it, but I can't tell where it is.

I'm starting to think a previous owner might have removed that small, vertical bypass filter. Here's the position where I removed the big filter to change it, drivers side of the grader.
IMG_20240524_142744_725.jpg

Here's the upper view of the same side of the engine. Those two filters at the upper left are definitely fuel, I opend them enough to confirm that.
IMG_20240524_142738_032.jpg

This is the engine from the passenger side of the machine. No filters there! On the far right of the photo there are two sensors sticking out. I suspect they are oil sensors? and may be using the ports that used to feed the little bypass filter.
IMG_20240524_142715_818.jpg

Couldn't spot a number. It looked as if it had been in there a while.

The 1133 is a 32 micron full flow filter. That seems a little coarse, that's probably why they had the bypass filter originally. Wix doesn't publish a micron rating for the 51002 that probably went in the missing filter housing.