• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I lost this job to a lower bidder, how low can you go?

fensoncont.

Speaking of low bids, the Charlotte Airport is something else. The project included 10,000,000 CY of earthwork, miles of storm drain, dozens of box culverts, and tens of thousands of tons of aggregate to truck in.

The following bids were submited:

E.S. Wagner Co. - $43,000,000
2nd Place - $93,000,000
3rd Place - $143,000,000

The second and third place bids were English Construction and Lane Construction, I can't remember the order of those two companies.

E.S. Wagner is using a Holland Loader, 12 Custom 740 45 CY Belly Dumps, and I believe 12 Challengers Pull Pans with various support equipment.

What do you guys think of that?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I think Wagner probably left money on the table or knows something the other two bidders weren't privy to.

fensoncont.

Your probably right because Wagner never retracted their bid, so they must have had an edge somewhere. I was told that Lane and English determined the soil was too poor and would need to be chemically dried. I also heard Wagner was pushing there Challengers through the cut.

equippartsdir

Low Bidder

These guys are out of the Toledo Ohio area!! How crazy is that? Move all that iron down to Charlotte and than leave a truckload of cash on the table? This whole subprime lending deal and the general lack of work has caused alot of guys brains to go on vacation!

fensoncont.

You are correct, they are from Oregon, Ohio. Now Wagner has an office in Piedmont, South Carolina, which is only 2 hours from Charlotte.

E.S. Wagner is a big company, they just moved 5.8 mil. CY on a joint Venture with Beaver Excavating, as well as 1.8 mil. CY on 24 for IDOT. They are currently moving 2.9 mil. CY for 24 throughout Northeast Ohio. I was also told there Holland was in Holiday City, Ohio previous to the airport moving a lot of dirt on a project that was 650 acres, Menards Dist. Center.

equippartsdir

Hey Nolan,
You're right on the mark. There's alot of these JV's going on between the big guys all across Ohio. Beaver's got a big job up on Route 8 & I-271 and Independence Ex has iron on the job. I heard form a guy close to Beaver that they'll finish the year right around $500 million. Not to bad of a year in a down market huh? Seems as though alot of the smaller contractors are being squeezed out of the picture, especially on State Projects. They keep getting bigger and bigger and most can't post the Bond.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I also read in the Construction Equipment Guide issue that there is lots of work coming up on the military bases in NC Fort Braggs and others listed.

They are going to be several million dollars jobs ,so the big companys might be working there way down that direction to get there feet wet on the big contracts out of there state coming up in NC down the road.

More work they do the better change of getting more and bigger contract.They will be on the approved bidders list.

Also they will have equipment already in the area.Just some more light on the reason why?:usa

catd4g

Less than a $1

yep and we have guys with tractors and pans in our area moving dirt for 65 cents a yard on 10,000 yd to 30,000 yd jobs. Tell me that makes sense or is cost effective.:Banghead

fensoncont.

I would say, Beaver is one hell of a company! If there's a dirt job, and they want it, they'll get it! They did the local reservoir around my area which ended up being close to 600,000 CY. They did Defiances Reservoir for 600,000 CY. They just won the Marysville Reservoir for 1,700,000 CY. I wish I knew what they had going on in other states, especially Pennsylvania and West Virginia with the terrain in those areas. I can about guarentee Beaver will get at least one of the big new reservoirs in Columbus coming up. The first one will bid in January of 2009, totalling out at 8,500,000 CY of earthwork. That will keep Beavers 40 631's, Hitachi EX 1100's, 375's, 773's and D9L Pushcats busy for awhile:)

I'll stop hijacking this thread over Ohio work, equippartsdir look for an e-mail from me shortly.

equippartsdir

Jobs going Cheap

I'll tell you guys there isn't anything of any substance going on her in NE Ohio. I call on Contractors in the Northeastern Ohio Region and many of them are talking about moving their iron south! Pretty scary!