• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I need a tutorial and a diagram on Diesel Air Compressors and their parts and functions

Cartoondude135

This is for anyone who's old school and still uses diesel air compressor-powered tools.

I'm doing what I like to call "reconstructing my childhood" in Blender. I'm trying to recreate a pair of Fast Lane Construction playsets that contained (if purchased together) two excavators (one with a hammer and one with a bucket), one front loader, a semi truck with a concrete mix trailer and a dump trailer, a highway maintenance pickup with a lane control arrow board, a single body dump truck, a single body concrete mix truck, a mining style dump truck, a knuckle boom delivery flatbed truck with a flatbed pony trailer, and two diesel generators (about the size of a pickup's flatbed and can be towed from behind on one axle).

This is where I need your help: I need to know the parts and functions of a diesel air compressor (with illustration pictures (manual diagrams, visual pics, etc.)) as from what I know and witnessed, diesel air compressors power pneumatic machines and tools like jackhammers, some circular saws, and what are known as "air track" drills.

I know there's an engine there, which is the most obvious part. But what else is in a diesel air compressor that helps it to compress air and power the tool or machine it's attached to?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well, there’s the compressor itself driven off the engine
Or in some real old stuff there were some that modified the engine so say half of the cylinders were used to compress the air while the other half provided the power.

Trying to remember the make, believe some were Schramm, do a google search on that name! We also had an ex-tire shop truck that had a compressor that was a V-8 Ford that was moded to have one bank as gas engine and the other bank was the air compressor section.

There were many different companies that made compressors and all sorts of different designs used over the years. For bigger applications most were diesel screw type compressors powered by diesel engines

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Or in some real old stuff there were some that modified the engine so say half of the cylinders were used to compress the air while the other half provided the power.

Trying to remember the make, believe some were Schramm, do a google search on that name! We also had an ex-tire shop truck that had a compressor that was a V-8 Ford that was moded to have one bank as gas engine and the other bank was the air compressor section.

There were many different companies that made compressors and all sorts of different designs used over the years. For bigger applications most were diesel screw type compressors powered by diesel engines
I remember those, sounded awful and had a goofy looking head. Just an abomination from the word go. That said, they worked pretty good.

Zewnten

Search 185cfm towable air compressor into Google images and scroll around until you find the model you want.