• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I think my case drain is bleeding pressure.

GeeVee

I have a new ASV RC 30, which I love.

My problem is the case drain for the auxilliary hydraulic circuit. The little metal button seems to be stuck down. I fear this may be the reason my grapple seems to require constant "opening" while rounding up material.

Since I've owned the aftermarket rootrake/grapple I purchased for (an unbelievably low price) I have wondered if it was just the geometry of the top clamp and the weight and the bouncing around that made it close by itself. Or maybe it was the cylinder leaking. Having disasemmbled the cylinder, and an experienced mech relay he didn't see any reason why the seals might leak past, I've sort of discarded that as a problem. I did so because some of the cheaper brands of cylinders had the backer nut loosen up. Either way, I doubt its the cylinder now.

Shouldn't the clamp stay open while traveling and collecting? If the case drain is stuck open, would it still operate at all?

I believe every other grapple Ive ever used had no problem staying open. then again, I think they were machine matched high-end accessories...

I'd like to believe that the clamp ought to be able to apply some serious crushing power to brush, but I am cluelss as to how to guage its ability. I can round up material, I can hold onto logs with the bucket tipped out and the clamp doesn't open, but I have a feeling it barely does it compared to the expectation that I ought to be able to crush certain size deadfall.

These troubles notwithstanding, I would recommend anyone looking for a Rootrake/grapple to this company. I doubt its the rake's problem, and the price is very affordable. Out of repsect, I will not pimp their name out loud. You would need to send me a PM and I will be happy to relay, just to help out someone else. Certainly, I have no tie to the company

I appreciate anyones input. I am a fair hand with tools, and read well. but I have had just about zero results in tracking down a troubleshooting guide that can shed light on the subject.

Thanks

GeeVee

Last edited:

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
case drain

Not sure what is stuck but there would be no case drain on a grapple only on something that has a motor on it if one of the fittings is loose or stuck and leaking on the couplers for the grapple it could be the problem but you will have some blead of of the cyl from the vibration of the machine when traveling

GeeVee

Sorry, imcomplete information

Man, I HATE that. At a place I frequent, the newbs come on and ask a question llike... . "My Kohler won't run" No make, model or year mentioned, just no details to narrow down "what color is water?"

On the loader arm is a the quick connect hydro fittings and a small valve body of sorts. On the top is a metal button indicating if you push it down, it releases some pressure that may remain in the hose or lines, before removing or installing? I believe it has a bit to do with having a selectable pump output- constant switched on or joystick thumbutton at will.

Its an 06 and I've put all of the 350 hrs on it. 31 horse CatiPerk, around 10-12 gpm flow at 3000 psi at 2000 rpm. No leaks. Its a small machine so working on it is super simple, I'm just an idiot.

I'll look for the expanded part view in pdf somewhere.

Thanks Hog

Last edited:

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
case drain

If it is on the lines leading to the couplers it is like you said to relieve the pressure on the couplers it could be bypassing a little try and remove the grapple lines and with the machine running work the pedal or switch both ways that work the coupler them bleed out the pressure if there is dirt in same you may be able to force it out that way if not you will have to tear it apart and clean it up or see what is wrong