• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I wouldn't of thought it would be so hard to find . . .

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
. . . A used bucket for a Cat 315 with 70mm pins. I have spent pretty much most of the past day and a half scouring Wisconsin and anywhere else in the Upper Midwest I can think of trying to find a bucket. I could get nice buckets with 80mm pins for 320's all day long, or skinny trenching buckets, but something like a 42" general use tooth bucket is almost nonexistent.
Except from Cat, I can get a brand new 48" for $9500 or a nice used 42" for $7600. I was trying to avoid that o_O
I didn't know a 315 was such an oddball . . .

Does anybody from this corner of the world know of any other sources?

Acoals

Occupation

skyking1

Okay, I was just going to report back that I heard those are 65s. I wonder how much trouble would be to bore those up to 70? I don't have the hardware but somebody else might.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I was lucky, my 160 sized machine takes 80 mm (Link Belt/Case). When I was looking for buckets last year it was relatively easy to find buckets at a somewhat reasonable price. You don't see much for 70mm pins.

heymccall

Is your hoe wearing a Caterpillar bucket coupler?

Also, when fitting bucket, need the following information:
Pin diameters
Center to center on pins
Hinge width (between the ears)

Almost all Caterpillar bucket couplers can accommodate a smaller pin setup.
We regularly run 80mm pins in our C, C/D, CB, D, and DB linkage Caterpillar couplers. The catch is hinge width.

If it's a 315 without letters behind it, most of the charts I have access to are too old.

Acoals

Occupation
Is your hoe wearing a Caterpillar bucket coupler?

Also, when fitting bucket, need the following information:
Pin diameters
Center to center on pins
Hinge width (between the ears)

Almost all Caterpillar bucket couplers can accommodate a smaller pin setup.
We regularly run 80mm pins in our C, C/D, CB, D, and DB linkage Caterpillar couplers. The catch is hinge width.

If it's a 315 without letters behind it, most of the charts I have access to are too old.

I do not have a coupler, the bucket is pinned direct.

My pin diameter is 70mm, between the ears is 11", I don't have the pin to pin, and the bucket is not nearby at the moment, but I didn't think pin to pin was real important without a coupler.

The machine is a 315C L

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
That being the case you could put a coupler on it took an 80 mm bucket.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Easy enough to modify a bucket. Last shop I was at had a welder that'd do that sort of thing all the time and he was quick.

cosmaar1

That chart is extremely useful, thank you.
I have a 555E backhoe and was looking for a wider bucket. I found one that looks like it came off of a smaller excavator, but had the same pin diameter. I got longer pins and my father modified the ears a bit and BOOM it works like a charm. I would suggest following some of the ideas above about buying one close and either machining out the IDs you need for a few hundred bucks or fabricating something that will work better for you.

Shimmy1

I do not have a coupler, the bucket is pinned direct.

My pin diameter is 70mm, between the ears is 11", I don't have the pin to pin, and the bucket is not nearby at the moment, but I didn't think pin to pin was real important without a coupler.

The machine is a 315C L
I think you are overthinking this. Pin to pin might be an issue, might not. Closer distance than you currently are using will give more rotation, might give you less breakout. Opposite for further. Bush the pin holes down to 70 mm, 1/2" washer on each side with a few 1/2" holes to weld it to the bucket ears, done. Unless you find a silly Komatsu bucket, then you'll need 7/8".

You could even have a good machinist turn you a bushing with a flange and do it with one piece per hole. Might be expensive tho....

Last edited: