• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IH 500 E Track Alignment

Troy4500Industrial

Hello All,

I have a IH 500E I picked up, I know not necessarily the greatest piece of equipment in relation to getting parts. I'll be needing a new set of tracks, but I found a place in Wisconsin to make those. That's not the issue, what I'm wondering is the tracks I have on now, one side is out of alignment. When I lift it up, I can push the track over with with the backhoe, but where is the bolts/tensioner to hold them in place? Can't find any schematics on it, unless maybe I order a parts book and they show me there?

Any info would be great

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Hello All,

I have a IH 500E I picked up, I know not necessarily the greatest piece of equipment in relation to getting parts. I'll be needing a new set of tracks, but I found a place in Wisconsin to make those. That's not the issue, what I'm wondering is the tracks I have on now, one side is out of alignment. When I lift it up, I can push the track over with with the backhoe, but where is the bolts/tensioner to hold them in place? Can't find any schematics on it, unless maybe I order a parts book and they show me there?

Any info would be great
Do you mean you can push the track frame with the track ? Is this a fixed track frame dozer ? With two 4 inch round beams crossing under the chassis frame ?

Welder Dave

I think you need to better explain what you can push over or better yet show some pics. The track frame shouldn't move if you push on it sideways. If the tracks are way too loose may push over.

Troy4500Industrial

Hey Guys, sorry its been so long since I posted this, that I reposted the same question agian haha ... I'll get some pics set on here, but the issue I have is the tracks/rails are working "outwards" on the machine in the front. I'm losing my tracking. Almost as if the idlers are out of alignment and need to be "pulled/set", for lack of better terms, closer back into the frame?

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
sounds like your tracks are out of adjustment , renew or remove a link for a fast cheap temporary fix .

Troy4500Industrial

Hey! So I set my tracks to proper sag, atleast what I beleive is and went with 2-1/4” … this is what I’m looking at .. any ideas? They both seem to be jogging outwards near the front idler? Is there an adjustment? I gotta power wash it off and search

Attachments

• 59A16C44-FA90-4697-98D9-F55F3CE21828.jpeg
    59A16C44-FA90-4697-98D9-F55F3CE21828.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 32

Troy4500Industrial

Everyone, forgive my naive approach with this, I'm learning ..

Looking at the parts book, I came across "gauge bars" ... I found another link online that "lose gauge bars on a TD-5 had caused a lot of frame damage". With that said, once I get a good cleaning on it, if the bolts for said "gauge bars" are lose/broken/missing, could that cause the frame to pull away and start bending out? I'm hoping if this is the case, I can hook to the backhoe and 30ton come along to the frame and pull it back "straight". Make sense to anyone or am I just dreaming up possibilities in my head with no knowledge or realism?

Welder Dave

You need to see what holds the front of the track frames to the main frame. Then look for missing or loose bolts or broken parts. Not sure what the gauge bars are but they may have something to do with it.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Everyone, forgive my naive approach with this, I'm learning ..

Looking at the parts book, I came across "gauge bars" ... I found another link online that "lose gauge bars on a TD-5 had caused a lot of frame damage". With that said, once I get a good cleaning on it, if the bolts for said "gauge bars" are lose/broken/missing, could that cause the frame to pull away and start bending out? I'm hoping if this is the case, I can hook to the backhoe and 30ton come along to the frame and pull it back "straight". Make sense to anyone or am I just dreaming up possibilities in my head with no knowledge or realism?
The TD5 has two round 4 inch approx dia round beams held down by half round clamps on the track frames and heavy brackets mounting the beams under the chassis . The ones on the track frame can work loose or rust solid . My one the bolts had rusted solid into the track frame but the lock washers had rusted out leaving a little movement. I watched them and figured if I either tried to tighten or remove them they would have broken , stayed the same in spite of many years work .