• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IHI 28J Excavator Alarm

DripCo

I have a 28J IHI Excavator. Last week when I was using it quite a bit, I started hearing an alarm. It was fairly hi pitched & solid. It is coming from under the right armrest area. I checked all of the gauges, and felt the hydraulic oil cooler by touching it. Nothing seemed hot or out of line. I shut it off for an hour or 2, started it back up, the alarm was gone, but then some time later it came back on. I ranit for a while after that, & as I was parking it, it seemed like it was running rough & I shut it off. Started it this weekend & it ran fine, but the alarm came back on after running for a while. I believe it cameon quicker than before though.

Has anyone else had this issue like this? Any ideas on where to start trouble shooting. Thanx Drip

Jlillie2

Occupation
Media services
On my takeuchi the alarm indicated trouble with the charging system. Mine is the old school setup with a lead that goes directly into the battery to indicate low fluid level. So when I changed to a newer battery that lead had to be tied off to the pos terminal to silence the alarm.

maddog

Check your glow plug indicator, mine(IHI35J) did this and it was the relay. I was actually able to rig the relay to work but plan on changing it before spring. If it is your glow plug alarm then chances are it's constantly on.