• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IHI 55N3 tracks

Bearhead

I have a IHI 55N that is a fantastic machine, and its time for new tracks. It never gets used on concrete/asphalt and mainly used in clearing bush etc. Would steel tracks for a good option for this 6ton machine, the terrain gets pretty steep and I have been impressed with the rubber tracks grip, and somewhat concerned that the steel tracks may not have the same traction as the rubber. which brand rubber and steel would be the best bang for the buck, this machine doesnt see more than 500hrs/year.IMG_6868.jpg

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
IHI makes a good mini ex. I would stay with rubber, if they are working for you as it is, I wouldn't go to steel. If you ever wanted to put in on asphalt or concrete you would wish you had rubber. As far as brand, there is a numerous options. Camoplast, Bridgestone, SJC are some names, but there are many other options that are good as well. I will say I put a Trojan on my Taki and after while they seemed to stretch out when turning on asphalt and caused the machine to detrack. Regardless of how tight they were on the machine. I pulled them off, put on another brand and so far the problem has gone away. The tracks had about 1000 hours on them. Not sure what is up with that, broke a steel cable in both sides maybe.