• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Im in! Galion 150FA a few small repairs

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
My first crane. Got her hauled home this morning about 60 miles. Has some things wrong with it but I think it will work out ok. It has a cummins 5.9 turbo in it. Another good thing is that the guy I bought it from had to have the starter rebuilt and a new battery this week before I could test out the machine.

20170309_084659.jpg 20170309_105653.jpg

BobCatBob

Good looking crane! You're going to love it......everything is fixable yourself (except boom cylinders, though feasible with another crane).

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Thanks , when I started thinking I wanted a crane I started researching Galion 150 and Grove RT58 and came across your 150 resto thread on this board Bob.

BobCatBob

Wow.....can't imagine how they did that (these beauts are built stought). Can you remove the pin or is it smashed into the bushing?

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Dont know yet, I suppose I will find a nice tree here to lean the boom up on and chain the chassis of the crane to the tree so it cant roll and try and knock that pin out.

Thats the approved method right? :)

Maybe it will come out with the boom down?? I dont know . Will look tomorrow.

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
My theory is somebody used to drive this crane around too fast on a really bumpy area making the boom bounce up and down and destroying the pin.

BobCatBob

Check those bushings when you knock the old pin out.....might need to hone them a bit. Have you figured a way to keep that monster boom cylinder centered once pin is out? My guess is that thing weighs 2000+ pounds.
Chain up just below the eye/ rotate pedestal 90 degrees for room to work (my best junk mechanic guess).

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Will be a few days before I get back on it, will see if setting the boom on some blocks on top of my shipping container gets it high enough to get the weight off and pin in removal position. Could push the old one out with the new one, that would keep the cylinder in line

BobCatBob

I'd chain her up for safety.....that is one monster cylinder.....hate to have that come back. Looking at that broken pin, I'd imagine the bushings are gouged.....might need to take the rough edges down.

Is the boom straight? Was trying to figure how that pin broke. Maybe some of the professional operators in here could comment.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
I'm anything but a mechanic, but what if the pin was seized and someone forced it to lift, it looks like lateral cracks. It would take a lot to twist it, just a wild guess.

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Im thinking someone drove it full speed on a very rough surface bouncing the boom up and down severely. I looked at the boom close before buying and didnt see any distortion. I did see the broken pin and that lowered my offer on the crane.

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Did I mention that this poor thing has been neglected? Going to clean all the intake parts and air cleaner housing, also need to scrape 1/2 in of dirt off the engine compartment fwd wall.
Rounding up all filters, radiator hoses, thermostat, belt , engine oil , etc.

Turbo has been blowing some oil into the engine, shaft has some play, will either replace the center cartridge or whole turbo before I run it again. 20170315_160934.jpg

20170315_164111.jpg

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Does a 50 GPM filter assy sound like enough flow for the transmission charge pump on this thing? I guess this is a Clark transmission.

Some engineer of neglect had removed the entire trans filter assy and chunked it and put a looped hose in its place.

I am looking at this Parker as a substitute: 1000psi capability and 50GPM https://www.zoro.com/parker-filter-hydraulic-50gpm-40cn110qm250n4n41/i/G1079373/

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Tracked down a $65 shipped deal on a new surplus filter for the transmission, a 20 micron 80 GPM and 800 PSI rated Parker 40CN2 - that ought to work.

Old fan not looking too effective... got a new 20 inch aftermarket USA made engine fan for this 1991 5.9 6BT for 1/4 of cummins cost. Its an American Cooling Systems 449100-20 through G&T engine parts for $52 plus shipping , interchanges with cummins 3912751.
filter40.jpg 20170329_231034.jpg 20170329_234004.jpg