• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

I'm proud of my niece!

scholzee

You should be proud !!! I wish more schools would do that we are in dire need of skilled trades bot Women and Men. Ten years ago my kids shop they ordered kits to assemble. Could not use drill press, table saw, mill, lathe you name it all locked out school said liability insurances was too costly. I wish her the best I do get a little concerned whos driving 200 mph is nothing for first timers to try and achieve. Most tracks with tech inspection needs the frame done by certified welders, I'm sure they got that all figured out. You better go watch it at the track.

mitch504

Be sure to let us know how it goes in Texas.

Also, I sure do hope that shop teacher's last name isn't prophetic.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
You should be proud !!! I wish more schools would do that we are in dire need of skilled trades bot Women and Men. Ten years ago my kids shop they ordered kits to assemble. Could not use drill press, table saw, mill, lathe you name it all locked out school said liability insurances was too costly. I wish her the best I do get a little concerned whos driving 200 mph is nothing for first timers to try and achieve. Most tracks with tech inspection needs the frame done by certified welders, I'm sure they got that all figured out. You better go watch it at the track.
I know it. I took shop class back in the day, and you don't see it anymore. Honestly. I've been thinking about volunteering at my kids' school. Maybe start one up again. Or ask about it, at least. I don't think the kids are going to be doing the driving. That's a real good question though. I'm going to ask her this weekend.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I know it. I took shop class back in the day, and you don't see it anymore. Honestly. I've been thinking about volunteering at my kids' school. Maybe start one up again. Or ask about it, at least. I don't think the kids are going to be doing the driving. That's a real good question though. I'm going to ask her this weekend.
Well back in I think 1965 when I was in 9th grade the boys go 1/2 a year in metal shop. One kid, Scott, was using the foot powered sheer to cut off a narrow strip of steel problem is he managed to also chop off his left index finger near the first joint! Once teacher figured out the kid was not just joking around he was sent to the nurse who just happened to be his mom!

As luck would have it this was just before lunch and the meal for the day was fish fingers with catsup, don't think anyone if the class felt like eating that day.

Back then doc's were not as skilled at reattaching severed things but they tried and had to eventually remove it!

Welder Dave

Having competent teachers goes a long way. Unfortunately some so called "shop teachers" are far from qualified let alone be put in a position to teach kids. Having said that there are some people, not just kids that should stay as far away from any kind of tools or mechanical devices as possible. Classic example of an accident waiting to happen. Was talking with a guy who had an auto repair shop and his son was taking automotives in high school. I happened to know the teacher because he raced MX. The guy wanted to go to the school and beat some sense into the teacher. He couldn't believe it when his kid told him the teacher was jacking cars up to work underneath them and not using or even insisting on (the students) using jack stands! Knowing this idiot, it didn't surprise me. He called himself a "technoid". He promoted an indoor MX race at a monster truck show and in the hallways of the arena played a loop video of himself balancing on his dirt bike in a stationary position. I almost fell out of my chair when his son said he showed the same ridiculous video to his high school auto class. He tried to pass himself of as a pro rider but would have trouble winning an intermediate level race. Apparently the guy used his house as collateral to put the race on and ended up stiffing a lot of people including the insurance company. I volunteered to help flag because I got a free pit pass and could watch the whole event. I heard it was close to $25K the guy owed and was sued over it but can't confirm that number. Didn't surprise me at all though. More of a hemorrhoid than a technoid if you ask me.

Welder Dave

I was very fortunate to have great shop teachers in Jr. high school and experienced tradesmen for teachers in the trades school I went to for high school. I remember my welding teacher saying some of the teachers in other schools weren't qualified enough to be teaching (welding anyway).

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Update:
I was in Chicago when she was down in TX, but I stayed around long enough for her to come home and get the news. Bottom line is, it didn't go. The team didn't do any testing at all before they loaded up and headed to TX. Really unfortunate there. Not even one run down the street. They had a drag link snap, the radiator was too small, and the engine lost oil pressure right away, so they didn't even get to run that truck. Their driver did find someone to loan them a Toyota Supra for a run, so they managed to not completely waste the day, but it was no bueno for the team, overall. They're pushing 800 HP from a small block, and they had a radiator from a 4 cylinder Honda on there. It might have kept it cool enough for a 1/4 mile run, but not much longer after that. I feel badly for her, but she's in good spirits, she found value in the experience as a whole, and she learned a LOT about how this stuff can go sideways. Since this is related to the school, I don't know what the future holds for her and that team, but I can tell ya, she's not done yet!

Welder Dave

If this was a school project and was supervised by a teacher(s), it would appear that maybe the teacher/designer wasn't as good at automotives as they thought. I wouldn't think an 800 HP drag racer could just show up and run down the track without any testing especially if the driver was inexperienced. Did it have to pass a tech inspection? It kind of sounds like it was destined to fail from the start.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I can only guess that they simply ran out of time, and took their best shot. Sometimes that’s all you can do. Who knows, maybe the instructor told the class what’s going on before they left, and took a vote on whether or not to risk it? I don’t know. Mistakes were made, and all you can do is just move forward.

When I was a younger (and much thinner) man, I raced amateur motocross at Budd’s Creek, MD. About a 4 hour drive from where I lived in VA. Try as I might to make sure I brought everything, I would miss stuff like premix, or extra hardware or basic stuff like that. Hell once I was doing a heat early in the day, hit a tabletop, and my damn seat fell off because I didn’t install the bolts. I caught it between my leg and the bike, and got back to pit row. I had to walk around asking people for bolts. That was back before everyone was a prima Donna so it didn’t take me long. I don’t remember how I made out the rest of the day, but I was able to keep racing. Anyhow, $hit happens I guess :)

Welder Dave

I've seen seat belts come out and the seat fly off. It happened to one of the fastest guys here with a couole laos left. He won the race less his seat because he only sat down in the corners. It was quite amazing to watch. I probably tightened my seat bolts too much after seeing that. I lost my supposed lock nut style Honda rear axle nut in practice. Another guy with the same bike broke something on his bike. I borrowed his axle nut and adjuster block and we shared my bike since he was in a different class. A rag in the air box is not that uncommon either. Budds Creek must have been a great track to ride.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Budd’s was tons of fun. They would switch direction of the track every so often, just to keep it interesting. I was never any good at racing, never won one, but man there is just something about lining up with 20 other guys, engines screaming, everyone gunnin’ for that first turn… whew. I came back to racing, just a couple years ago, on a 45O this time, and things have changed. Maybe it’s me, but it’s just not the same. Where did you race?