• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

in search of a used mini

OTG AuGres

Occupation
Hobbiest - Forestry and Wildlife Management
Again thanks for all the responses guys......a few more questions:
Outside of running steel tracks on pavement or concrete, what are the other advantages disadvantages to rubber vs. steel tracks?
What about renting your machine out while you are not using it. Is that something you would suggest, or stay away from. thinking about things like insurance, damage/repair costs....but also potential income to pay the thing off!
Thanks in advance!
I would say other than the obvious that you mentioned, resale would be a good reason for rubber tracks on a mini...depending on your location of course . When I bought mine, both Kubota and Bobcat dealers in my area indicated a harder resale with steel tracks specifically in the smaller weight class machines (mine is. 4.5ton). In my area, you virtually never see a mini with steel tracks.

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
Fullphase Just a note of warning . If you barge the machine to the island it won't be insured as long as it sits on a barge . You will have to notify your insurance company and get an insurance adjustment for the day . Believe me we lost one and no insurance .

melli

With Billrog on flat deck. That is how I got mine...find someone in your hood with a flatdeck/hiab and ride along with them to get it. I'll admit I got a good deal (had to get mine shipped from lower mainland to coast) in terms of shipping (Ferry was $225 or so). Hard to find good deals out in the sticks.
Yeah, fixed thumb and only one bucket alone would cause me to move along. Wouldn't consider an ex rental, unless a 1000hrs or less. They get flogged by test pilots. Rubber tracks allow one to tread across grass without totally chewing it up. Look for one with maintenance done...imho. These smaller machines go through rollers/idlers every 2-3 thousand hours, and if near 3-4000 hrs, bushing work, hoses, tracks, and maybe even big ticket items like drive motors, slew drive, etc. Being on wet coast, find one with a cab! lol
I did use mine to clear land...was a bit hard on Bobby (331D), but it did everything I needed to do. Once cleared, Bobby is perfect for the landscaping bit, house foundation, driveway maintenance, deadfall removal, trenching, etc. At least try to find one with a digging and cleanup bucket, and real thumb.
Make sure you know how to test a machine when buying...I admit, I was naive when I bought mine, of what to look for. Lots of slop in boom/arm/bucket means bushing work (adds up and a pain to fix). Raise both tracks off ground, and hand check rollers (side to side means bearings are shot) and idler. Should be no visible smoke out of exhaust when running. Ask when oil in drive units was changed. Sight glass for hydraulic oil reservoir should be a honey colour. One will never get a perfect machine, but it helps if you can avoid buying a money pit.
I was thinking of selling mine for house build, but geesh, Bobby is darn indispensable around the homestead.

molly987

Hey there,

Finally found a site that I can bounce some ideas off of! ya!
New to the site, and the world of excavators, I bought a piece of property and would like to have a machine to do some work with. So many questions! I guess first of all, i am thinking of size, I rented a JD60 and that seemed to be ideal for what I need, but been pulled to the JD, bobcat, hitachi.....in the 7500lb range. Not sure if i will be kicking my self if I go that small....????
My lot is all sand and gravel, the majority of trees are cleared, so thinking i will be ok......
Also, a guy I know is selling a Hitachi ex75UR excavator (grey market). I was telling a couple of dealers about it and they said to stay away as it might be hard to get parts and you never know what your are getting. I still tempted, because it is in my price range (30k Canadien) looks in good shape and the meter is only reading 200hrs (i guessing that is incorrect though). It has a mechanical thumb not hydraulic, and only comes with one bucket and no quick connect.
Also, looking at a bobcat E35 former rental unit with 3000hrs.

Any thoughts comments are greatly appreciated.
thanks
Mike