• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Independent field mechanic startup

lantraxco

No you won't. The phone will ring a day or two before any such project and you will get a job that fills in the "empty" day and the house will stay unfinished. At least that is how it works for me.

Yup, and you will end up with a constant short list of "When you get a chance" requests you can fill in with, though as pumpguy sez these customers will be hoping for a bit of a deal... it's all good as long as it pays though!

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
No you won't. The phone will ring a day or two before any such project and you will get a job that fills in the "empty" day and the house will stay unfinished. At least that is how it works for me.
LOL, that's usually how things go, right!? If I stay busy enough then I should have enough money to hire some help for completing the house.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Hope your new job has enough margin to cover the good benefits(vacation, sick days, retirement, 401K) as the government one typically has. Otherwise they are other expenses you need to cover in you rate.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Lots of good advice here. I've been thinking a lot about getting my own truck as well lately. I know the wrench end of it but I've got to school myself up on the actual business end of it.

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
Sounds like you done well. Keep us posted and update us on side projects as you can. Good luck.

Well guys, I've been at it for a month now and lucky enough to have had steady work from one customer. Been pretty much working on telehandlers, forklifts, and a couple trucks. Pulled and split a tranny for repair then reinstalled. Rebuilt wheel ends, shimmed sloppy booms, fixed a bunch of electrical and hydraulic issues, etc, etc. Basically working on a neglected fleet servicing and repairing a whole myriad of things. I'm done with them for a few weeks until more parts arrive and I take care of a couple other customer's small jobs. I met with some other potential customers, who express interest in my service in the spring. I had a C15 repair lined up for this week but we just got ~12 inches of snow over the weekend so the customer delayed a week. In the meantime, I'm working on getting my service truck squared away and working on the house while I can.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
The work seems to be rollin in.. good.. but how about the $$ ?? Are you getting paid on time??
Are you getting weekly pay or when the jobs done?? Are they buying the parts or are you footing the bill till the jobs done??
A lot of PROFIT is made from marking up the parts.. NOT over what they could buy them for, but using your discount and then marking them up to, over the counter prices.. which usually equals out to your time & gas going to get them..
I know 1 guy personally, who gets a dealer discount at my place..just because we like him.. he sends HIS customers in to pick up and PAY FOR the items using HIS discount.!!!
He'll preorder the items and have the invoice cut for pick-up..
I told him he's leaving hundreds of dollars on the counter and asked him why??
He said, its just easier that way..WTH?? Some things just cant be taught.. I can say, he's ALWAYS busy tho..
Keep up the good work..

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
The work seems to be rollin in.. good.. but how about the $$ ?? Are you getting paid on time??
Are you getting weekly pay or when the jobs done?? Are they buying the parts or are you footing the bill till the jobs done??
Getting paid weekly with this one customer and they want to buy the parts. Usually I buy the parts, but Im not complaining since its a big volume of work.

BuMach

some good advice came around on this post.

in my opinion the biggest motivation to go fulltime for your own company, should be that you want to have your own company.

cause in the end no matter what day job you got, working for a boss will Always be easy money, compared to doing the same thing for yourself...
long days, short nights, staying away for a few days, money issues etc etc... it can be stressfull every now and then..
So to be able to go back to that "special" feeling off having your own company will hopefully help you through the though days.

Cause it's not only gold that shines!

I would suggest to get some good Insurance, i know you guys have different Insurance then we have,
but ive got a Insurance that will pay me in the event i get some health issues what makes me unable to do my job again.
after haven spoken with two guys who just got into an accident on the highway and both where unable to work for them selfes anymore, didn't had that Insurance (cause its a expensive one!) and they now need to get round with a few €100,- a month from the goverment, when otherwise they would be able to get €23-30K a year..
i've got a wife and two kids so i got to play safe on some spots.

Make sure you know what kind off risk you want to take and what kind of risk you can't handle.

I've made the step 3,5 years ago, worked for a boss 45min from home, had 0 clientel, no daddys workshop(or money..), no money anymore (had to pay back all the courses i had and also the truck license i had from my boss..) my girlfriend was pregnant, so good timing to go and make the big step, but i had my good toolbox and my hands..

But after these 3,5 years i think this year it might be the year, i can take some fruits from my labour..
been investing pretty much every penny i've made within my company.
and got one part-time mechanic working for me now and looking into making the step into getting a full-time mechanic to work for me in this year.

What a lot off people forget, or don't see on the outside in my neighbourhood are all the nights i've been awake thinking about how the hell i can pay all the bills especially when you're starting up and got a few clients, there are Always a few ones that will pay later then you hope,
if they are buying parts then its lots easier, so thats a good way to start your company up!

Having €10-30K underneath your clients every month is just normal for me now (and this only goes up with getting the bigger jobs..)
so keep an eye that they pay on time and make sure you tell them when they dont! cause the bigger the company the less those guys give a damn about you and your bill..

For the rest if you think you got it in you, and you think you would regret more when you dont do it, then just do it!
if you ask 10 people probely 8 off them will say you're crazy..
if you cant make it within the next few years then going back to work for a boss is Always an option!

good luck with getting it all sorted out!

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
some good advice came around on this post.

in my opinion the biggest motivation to go fulltime for your own company, should be that you want to have your own company.

cause in the end no matter what day job you got, working for a boss will Always be easy money, compared to doing the same thing for yourself...
long days, short nights, staying away for a few days, money issues etc etc... it can be stressfull every now and then..
So to be able to go back to that "special" feeling off having your own company will hopefully help you through the though days.

Cause it's not only gold that shines!

I would suggest to get some good Insurance, i know you guys have different Insurance then we have,
but ive got a Insurance that will pay me in the event i get some health issues what makes me unable to do my job again.
after haven spoken with two guys who just got into an accident on the highway and both where unable to work for them selfes anymore, didn't had that Insurance (cause its a expensive one!) and they now need to get round with a few €100,- a month from the goverment, when otherwise they would be able to get €23-30K a year..
i've got a wife and two kids so i got to play safe on some spots.

Make sure you know what kind off risk you want to take and what kind of risk you can't handle.

I've made the step 3,5 years ago, worked for a boss 45min from home, had 0 clientel, no daddys workshop(or money..), no money anymore (had to pay back all the courses i had and also the truck license i had from my boss..) my girlfriend was pregnant, so good timing to go and make the big step, but i had my good toolbox and my hands..

But after these 3,5 years i think this year it might be the year, i can take some fruits from my labour..
been investing pretty much every penny i've made within my company.
and got one part-time mechanic working for me now and looking into making the step into getting a full-time mechanic to work for me in this year.

What a lot off people forget, or don't see on the outside in my neighbourhood are all the nights i've been awake thinking about how the hell i can pay all the bills especially when you're starting up and got a few clients, there are Always a few ones that will pay later then you hope,
if they are buying parts then its lots easier, so thats a good way to start your company up!

Having €10-30K underneath your clients every month is just normal for me now (and this only goes up with getting the bigger jobs..)
so keep an eye that they pay on time and make sure you tell them when they dont! cause the bigger the company the less those guys give a damn about you and your bill..

For the rest if you think you got it in you, and you think you would regret more when you dont do it, then just do it!
if you ask 10 people probely 8 off them will say you're crazy..
if you cant make it within the next few years then going back to work for a boss is Always an option!

good luck with getting it all sorted out!
BuMach, thanks for the advice. I got a family as well so I take precautions for sure. Might slow me down a bit but I like to keep my appendages whole. Traveled around your country a decent amount, nice people and scenic countryside.