• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Indicators you need to slow down

JBrady

This thread hits close to home. Some recent indicators I have seen: Left the gate open after evening feed, next morning horses were out enjoying themselves. Also, left the water running all night on a 1 hp water pump from the pond after filling up one of the water tanks. I can stay pretty focused on one thing at a time, but when I try to multitask or get distracted, all bets are off. At least I know this about myself and know enough or have enough self-discipline to stay on something important until it is finished or at a safe stopping point.

We have a family friend who is a private pilot. Years ago, he was having his plane serviced. The mechanic was changing the engine oil and got a phone call. I don't know if he never put any oil back in or exactly what happened, but just a few minutes into our friends next flight, the engine locked up and he had to put it down in a pasture.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
We have a family friend who is a private pilot. Years ago, he was having his plane serviced. The mechanic was changing the engine oil and got a phone call. I don't know if he never put any oil back in or exactly what happened, but just a few minutes into our friends next flight, the engine locked up and he had to put it down in a pasture.
The pilots pre-flight check includes checking the oil.
You friend is a member of the "Kick tire, Light fire, push GO button" crowd eh ?

JBrady

The pilots pre-flight check includes checking the oil.
You friend is a member of the "Kick tire, Light fire, push GO button" crowd eh ?
I know the pre-flight covers that step, and knowing this guy, he did that. He is that kind of methodical, cautious person that would never skip it. but like I said above, I don't know all the details. It could have been something like he took the old filter off and didn't put a new one on. Filled it back up with oil and not until the engine was started up did it pump all the oil out, although even that would be hard to believe you wouldn't see it on an oil pressure gauge or oil spewing all down the fuselage. It was a number of years ago.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
A few years ago Gayle lost his cell phone, I found it the next morning between step and tank.
Made a trip to Portland and back.
I once sent a pair of Snap-On needle nose pliers and a wire stripper on a bus run ... They were still there on the roof when she came back ...

Tyler d4c

I once sent a pair of Snap-On needle nose pliers and a wire stripper on a bus run ... They were still there on the roof when she came back ...
I found my pair of snap on pointys in the pans under a dozer I had sold 3 years ago a few weeks ago when the new owner hired me to repair a few leaks. It was a very emotional moment

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I found my pair of snap on pointys in the pans under a dozer I had sold 3 years ago a few weeks ago when the new owner hired me to repair a few leaks. It was a very emotional moment

Hopefully the leaks kept the pliers in good shape!

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
you guys are so funny, I had a truck with a clutch brake vanished , so someone tried to adjust the linkage to compensate
was that you TruckShop?

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
I'm gonna quit today, and go work automotive. But I have a clutch to do by Friday. This could be my last heavy duty clutch!?
well, no pto so that's nice...

Old Doug

I'm gonna quit today, and go work automotive. But I have a clutch to do by Friday. This could be my last heavy duty clutch!?
well, no pto so that's nice...
I am sorry did all the truck work dry up or what happen to force you to give go to autos. Maybe things will turn around and you can go back. I guess it could be worst but i dont know how once agin i fill bad for you.

Old Doug

I did a deal last night . I was trying to get a load of scrap loaded and my skid steer ran out of gas . I was very hot and it was about time for my moms helper to leave. I went to the house fixed supper then went back out. I was putting a head light bulb and turn signal bulb in my Dakota. It was a struggle took 4 times as long as it should very humid out. I then checked on mom put 2 gallons of gas in skid steer . Fuel pump is weak so i have a very weak electric pump on it if it dosent prime that i hook to battery. Got last thing loaded it was a deal put loader in shop went to the house. About 2 hours later i was in bed looking at videos there was a guy working on a fuel pump. Oh no i left the pump wired up in the past the electric pump would flood the carb. I ran to the barn it was still running but it hadnt over filled the carb or the crank case.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
I'm feeling pretty good, this indy shop was a rebound after a decade of Freightliner and Case dealerships. So this is the opposite end of the spectrum. But, too many airbags and not enough CEL's. The physical aspect appears to never end. I think auto pay has risen to compete with heavy duty, so I'm ready to try lifting smaller clutches

fastline

Wait until you leave a nice Fluke Clamp meter on your bed rail and realize that after about 20mi later. Many tears were shed.......

I am the kind of person that will shut down a shop until a 3/8 drive 13mil is found. I don't like lost tools. It's a glitch in my system.