• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Info required - Cat D11R equaliser bars

Aussie John

Occupation
Maintenance Planner, mining equipment
As a part of our maintenance strategy on a fleet of 10 Cat D11 R & T and 3 D10 dozers, the bearing clearances in the equaliser bar need to be checked at regular intervals and recorded. The most accurate method to do this is using a magnetic base dial indicator gauge as shown in the attached illustrations. To do these checks, one has to be close to the gauge to be able to read it and with the engine running to use the blade hydraulics to raise and lower the upper structure, the mechanic is exposed to an unsafe condition. Does anyone know of a remote reading digital dial gauge or precision laser device with a hand-held reader which is suitable for field work. Most digital dial gauges have an RS232 output on them but have not been able to track down the remote reading device. With a cable connected or wireless connection, the mechanic could set up and then sit in the cab to take each reading safely. Another option may be to connect the dial gauge to a notebook computer if there was suitable software available to read the digital dial gauge. Workplace safety rules in the mining industry now prevent anyone being close to or under operating equipment.
John

Attachments

• Equalizer bar assembly bearing check.jpg
    Equalizer bar assembly bearing check.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 2,944
  • Equalizer bar end bearing check.jpg
    Equalizer bar end bearing check.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,856

Chris5500

Occupation
Plant Mechanic
I use a Mahr maxµm III for taking slew deflection readings on Komatsu PC8000's. It retains the maximum reading on the screen so you don't have to be anywhere near the machine when jacking it up. Once you've lowered the machine back to the ground, simply go and retrieve the reading. It retains the maximum reading until cancelled or switched off.

Aussie John

Occupation
Do you have any more info on this tool Chris? Sounds like it could be what we need for our Hitachi EX2500s as well.

John

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
I'll share a little trick I used to read the block # on my 454 (hidden above the bell housing with a quarter panel and frame in the way). Go get a cheap digital camera (you probably already have one) and put it on movie mode! Hit record, point it at the gauge and hop up in the cab to move the machine. For $25 you can get a cheap tripod, cut the top off and mig weld it to a big magnet so you can stick your camera anywhre.

Great for reading part numbers tucked up in retarded places, just hit record and stuff the camera up in the hole and wiggle it around. May not be perfectly in focus but you can usually get the number after watching it once or twice.

I'll bet you could buy 10 of these setups for less than what your fancy remote gauge will set you back :D

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
I like your thinking vantage

i use msc j&l for stuff like that, they have a wide range!

Aussie John

Occupation
I had not thought of the digital camera in movie mode! I have seen details where a wireless type compact security camera was used and the signal fed to a laptop. Cat sell a good magnetic swivel base which is designed for the multi-tach pick up head and this could be used to hold the camera or else, use a standard dial gauge magnetic base and adjustable arm.
Thanks,
John

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I would also like to know of a remote reader for dial indicators but my question is why does it make any difference on that bar. Are you going to shut down a machine because you show a few thousands of an inch more clearance than was there last month?

I check the bars from the cab by standing up and looking out the door and running the blade. The ends are easy to see if the dirt is dug off. Any free play in the end and you have a job to do before it takes out the bar and track frame bores. You will know when the center gets sloppy because the nose will come up but the frames will stay on the ground.

In my experience operators don't check that bar ever until it becomes obvious that the bearings are broken. We started having the mechanics check them at every oil change since they have to be down there anyway.

Good Luck!

Cmark

The camera's a great idea.

How about a reversing camera?

The cameras are usually pretty robust in a metal housing and you can mount the LCD screen in a case and have it in the cab running off the cigar lighter socket.

excavator

I've never used a webcam but would this work hooked to a laptop ? I'd like to find something to locate hydraulic leaks. Set the webcam close to the leak area, preferably out of the line of fire, activate the function and watch it on my laptop. Would it work?

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
I've never used a webcam but would this work hooked to a laptop ? I'd like to find something to locate hydraulic leaks. Set the webcam close to the leak area, preferably out of the line of fire, activate the function and watch it on my laptop. Would it work?

Yup, the issue is the cord length (keeping your laptop from getting a hyraulic bath) and quality, the cheaper cams won't have very good resolution or gamma (light).