• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Inquiring

valoyda01

I have been various pieces of equipment over the last 14 years. My question is "when operating a self propelled vibrating drum packer do you have to shut off the vibrating mode when you change forward to backing up and vice versa". Also why?:confused:

Asphalt/Dirtman

It will leave a depression where you stopped causing a bump in the stone, asphalt, sand, etc. It can also hurt asphalt. It just depends what application you are doing to when it really shows up and screw things up. Rolling asphalt, it really screws things up. Rolling stone, not so much but there will be a dip.

Newer machines auto shut off and restart when changing directions.

Some guys can give you a more technical answer but that is the basic one.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
It will leave a depression where you stopped causing a bump in the stone, asphalt, sand, etc. It can also hurt asphalt. It just depends what application you are doing to when it really shows up and screw things up. Rolling asphalt, it really screws things up. Rolling stone, not so much but there will be a dip.

I'm not clear on what you're saying here. Are you saying it'll leave a depression if you don't shut off the vibration, or if you do shut off the vibration?

The reason I'm asking, is that while I don't have a whole world of experience on rollers, I do have some, and to me it seems that, for the moment between when you stop moving forward, and when you start moving backward, you're sitting still in one place, vibrating, and that would cause a depression.

I can say that if you're rolling dirt, and get too close to the soft edge of the fill, you won't be able to back up without shutting off the vibration, or switching it to the other direction. And sitting still there, spinning the tires while vibrating, will only get you stuck. Don't ask me how I know...

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
The reason I'm asking, is that while I don't have a whole world of experience on rollers, I do have some, and to me it seems that, for the moment between when you stop moving forward, and when you start moving backward, you're sitting still in one place, vibrating, and that would cause a depression.

That is correct. If you leave the vib on all the time you will pound a dip into the fill, stone or what ever your on top of. It can't be real good for the roller either to sit in one spot and hammer away.

Asphalt/Dirtman

Shut vibe off when A. Stopping or B. changing direction as in forward to reverse or reverse to forward.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear!
Dang typing and proof reading are not my strong points!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Yes I'm rolling dirt

You don't need to be too concerned, other than what Digger posted, about turning the vib on and off while changing directions on a normal dirt fill lift. I guess if you were working on some specialized dirt pad that had to be ultra smooth, you would need to operate it like an asphalt roller. If just doing a normal structural fill lift, leave the vibe on all the time since it will increase production. Just stay away from the edge of a soft fill..:cool2

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
When I was introduced to the roller here were the rules.

1. Keep it moving, all the time. Go over it 2x if you have nothing new to roll.
2. You are the lowest on the r.o.w. list, you yield to everyone. Especially scrapers and dozers
3. Refer to rule 1 & 2

As far as vibrate, the only time we shut it off was when we were sealing the site off before rain. But I have little pavement rolling experience, pavers and curb machines were to be avoided.