• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Inspection of used equipment.

space4092

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 310SK John Deere Backhoe or something similar size. I have driven skid steers and tractors, but do not have any experience in inspecting equipment.

I watched a couple of videos "what to look for". I really don't feel comfortable spending a big chunk of money on my unknowledgeable inspection. :/

I am considering asking a heavy equipment shop to send one of their mechanics and do an inspection of the equipment. My concern with that would be that there might be a conflict of interest if they know each other.

Any thoughts on how to go about this?

Thanks!

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
The chances of finding a knowledgeable enough inspector to ensure that you don't have to spend a bunch of money on the machine are pretty slim. Expect to spend 10 or 15k after you buy it ...

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Make a list of the items you want a mechanic to inspect. I don't see any conflict of interest if you make the wrench write down what he sees. He is just establishing facts during the inspection. If you suspect dishonesty, that is a different issue.

Welder Dave

5000 hours is generally considered pretty low for a diesel that was maintained. On a backhoe I think you need to look for obvious signs of abuse and if it looks like it has been greased and maintained. It's better to see grease around pivot points rather than being squeaky clean with worn pins and bushings. A good mechanic/inspector should give an honest analysis of what he see's. I'd see more of a conflict of interest if the company the mechanic/inspector worked for had a similar machine they were also trying to sell you. In that case you might want a 3rd party to inspect a machine.

Truck Shop

Any Service Records?-----I don't care if it was a wheel barrow-maintenance records should be kept
on any piece of equipment for time line.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forum space4092!

What do you intend to do with a backhoe?

ecnorton2001

I looked into an inspection service when I bought an excavator. As I recall, CAT dealer wanted $275/hr and the private heavy equipment repair shop wanted $175/hr. It is pretty expensive as you pay mileage and their going rate, if they need to travel very far. Also, they won't be "all seeing". From my farm experience, a machine can be running good today and something breaks tomorrow. The private guy almost told me this straight out. If you have experience around tractors, that experience with your You-Tube video should help out. The bottom line is what will the "expert" tell you you can find on your own? And few (expert or not) can predict when something will just "break". The expert will give you "peace of mind", but still some risk.

Welder Dave

The other possible option if it looks good to you on 1st seeing it is making the deal contingent on a dealer inspection where either the seller (if he has a trailer) or yourself driving it to the dealer if it's not too far. Paying 2 or $300 could give you a little piece of mind or point out major issues. It should probably be less taking it to dealer than having them come out.

muddog1975

If you don't feel comfortable inspecting the machine, I think it's smart to have someone that knows what to look for. If I were to spend big money on a used piece of equipment, I would recommend that you tell the seller that it all contingent on the report after inspection. I would definitely have your mechanic oil sample every compartment and have them explain what the results are. That will tell you if you have internal damage or excessive wear. Your mechanic doing the inspection will be able to spot oil leaks, cracks in welds or metal, wiring, pin and bushing wear, hydraulic leaks and cylinder damage and the proper operation of the machines functions. It may cost you a $1,000.00, but that's a fraction of what it might cost you in the long run. Good luck, let us know how you proceed.

space4092

Any Service Records?-----I don't care if it was a wheel barrow-maintenance records should be kept
on any piece of equipment for time line.

No maintenance records, which already seems fishy to me. Usually one would keep those records on expensive equipment, right?

Welcome to the Forum space4092!

What do you intend to do with a backhoe?

Tree stump removal. Looking to maintain a bush road, clear land. Would a backhoe loader be sufficient or should I rather go with an excavator?

I looked into an inspection service when I bought an excavator. As I recall, CAT dealer wanted $275/hr and the private heavy equipment repair shop wanted $175/hr. It is pretty expensive as you pay mileage and their going rate, if they need to travel very far. Also, they won't be "all seeing". From my farm experience, a machine can be running good today and something breaks tomorrow. The private guy almost told me this straight out. If you have experience around tractors, that experience with your You-Tube video should help out. The bottom line is what will the "expert" tell you you can find on your own? And few (expert or not) can predict when something will just "break". The expert will give you "peace of mind", but still some risk.

So rather budget for $10,000 less and have some repair money available just in case? I just want to do as much as I can to cover the risk of buying a lemon or a ~5000-hour machine where maintenance was not done on a regular schedule.

If you don't feel comfortable inspecting the machine, I think it's smart to have someone that knows what to look for. If I were to spend big money on a used piece of equipment, I would recommend that you tell the seller that it all contingent on the report after inspection. I would definitely have your mechanic oil sample every compartment and have them explain what the results are. That will tell you if you have internal damage or excessive wear. Your mechanic doing the inspection will be able to spot oil leaks, cracks in welds or metal, wiring, pin and bushing wear, hydraulic leaks and cylinder damage and the proper operation of the machines functions. It may cost you a $1,000.00, but that's a fraction of what it might cost you in the long run. Good luck, let us know how you proceed.

Thanks for the tips. I will look to see what shops are around to have a mechanic drop by.

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.

terex herder

A 310 isn't a very large machine. What size are your tree stumps, what species, and what are your soil conditions? Around here with usually dry clay soils, a 6" mulberry or a 12" box elder would be about the practical limit. If you have intact trees you could go a little bigger, as you have the trunk for leverage. If you have larger stumps, it is possible to dig out a root ball your machine won't have enough a$$ to get out of the hole.

space4092

Most of the trees that I want to take down are less than 12", and the ground is clay in some areas with lots of rocks and some parts are just on rock (Western Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada), I do have some swampy areas on the property as well though.

The logging road is very narrow to the property and I want to widen it and grade it to make the drive in quicker and more comfortable. Here is a video of the road in, the quality is not the best :/

Want to clear around 10-20 acres of forest.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Well to do what you want to do you really need a 6 way dozer, a 55-60K hoe and 3K gallons of diesel.:D

That is a tall order project for a 310 backhoe. What is your max. machine budget?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The phrase commonly used when inspecting anything is "readily apparent condition." That means what you can see, touch, hear and feel without having to dismantle the machine. No one has X-ray vision so looking inside an engine, transmission, final drive or hydraulic system isn't possible. But one can check oils, cold start the engine, move the machine, look for leaks, and operate the hydraulic components. An experienced inspector will notice things like expected amounts of wear, cylinders misfiring, excessive heat, odd noises, vibrations and plenty more.

I charge a set price for the inspection, usually $700 which includes all you see here plus a typed report with photos. Oil samples are extra. Mileage and travel time maybe charged but I drive a Toyota pickup and not a $200K service truck. I carry all the tools I need to check all the fluids and take samples. Things can still fall apart the day after you pass over your money. It is a used machine with all obvious and inherent defect. I can increase your chances of getting a good machine for the amount of money you are paying or advise you to pass up a black hole.

space4092

Well to do what you want to do you really need a 6 way dozer, a 55-60K hoe and 3K gallons of diesel.:D

That is a tall order project for a 310 backhoe. What is your max. machine budget?

I wish I could buy that much equipment. budget is $50-$60 CAD and this would be a year-long process, no rush on anything. Just picking away slowly. I am driving slowly in with my truck no problem. But for building something on the property in a couple of years the road has to be done for sure and the land has to be cleared.

Welder Dave

50 to 60K could buy you a couple decent machines a little older maybe. I don't think a TLB is the best choice for the things you want to do. Certainly not very good for making a road. A 6 way dozer and a track excavator would be much better choices. If you're patient and not in a huge hurry you can find good deals. Something like maybe a Case 550G dozer would be much cheaper than an equivalent Cat, JD or Komatsu. A decent excavator should be able to be found in the 25-30K range. Still need to do thorough inspections on potential machines though. If only 1 machine maybe consider a track loader, not a CTL but something like a Cat 953. Pretty versatile for a single machine.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
My two cents says contract a timber cutting company (a company that produces biomass along with marketable timber) to clear the twenty acres, trade the wood for the clearing and then deal with the stumps and brush with a midi sized ( say Cat 307 size) excavator and a 7 or 8 ton dozer with a stump rake added to the blade, if you shop around you should be able to find those two pieces for the budget you mention. they won't be new condition but you aren't doing timed production work either. what you you are talking about doing will take you a life time with a 310 backhoe. I do this type of work for a living, 20 acres of timbered land is a pretty daunting task. Maybe you will get lucky enough to find a contractor that would pay you some stumpage for some of the timber which would go toward the machinery?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
If only 1 machine maybe consider a track loader, not a CTL but something like a Cat 953. Pretty versatile for a single machine.

My man!:D. Some 953 love.

Seriously space with a $50-60K budget here in the southeast US that could buy a decent 953B which IMO opinion are probably the best rear engine track loaders Cat made.

Real track loaders are bitch to learn how to run but once you get it they are a swiss army knife and perfect for what you want to do like WD said. A 953 can clear the sides of your road and the 20 acres then grade all driveway easily.

Are track loaders available used in your area?

space4092

My man!:D. Some 953 love.

Seriously space with a $50-60K budget here in the southeast US that could buy a decent 953B which IMO opinion are probably the best rear engine track loaders Cat made.

Real track loaders are bitch to learn how to run but once you get it they are a swiss army knife and perfect for what you want to do like WD said. A 953 can clear the sides of your road and the 20 acres then grade all driveway easily.

There are track loaders available used in your area?
\

Not much available,

https://www.marketbook.ca/listings/construction-equipment/for-sale/32996471/1984-cat-963
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-equipment-machinery/ottawa/cat-943-crawler-tracked-loader/1612341352

anyone has some different sites to find some?

Thanks