• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Interested in learning to run a crane!

Danial Doherty

Hello everyone!!!
I am currently 27 years old and have been working as a heavy equipment operator for the past 2 years. I love my job dont get me wrong but i want to keep up grading and learning more!! I think that running a crane would be an excelent skill to add to the list! I was wondering how hard it is to get your crane licence??? Is this something you need to go to school for??? or is it something you can pick up buy working for a crane company and having someone teach you on the job? I am living in Nova Scotia, Canada and if there are any crane operators on here from down this way id love to hear from you!!
Thanks
Danial

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Hi

Im a Red Seal Crane operator (Class A)with 16 yr's in Ontario with 793 ..got my apprenticeship ,training and worked for a major outfit for 14 yrs .... Ontario is relitivly simple to go through the gears ..theres a 6000 hr apprenticship served under different operator's in all condition's ,day night make's no different ...but you will always be under an operator ..he is the equilvlant of the captain of any ship, you answer to him ,and he is ultimatly responsable for you ..(so bring coffee), 12 weeks of school ,certification exam's ..operator's are raised and moved up according to skill and in-house evaluation,as well as ministry of training demonstration of skill's test's ..

Lets face it your not gonna get nothing to big your first day(when your licensed) unless you were an exceptional apprentice ...and you will quickly be sent back to the hall if your not up to snuff ...Crane rental is a different beast than any other form of craneing... lots dont make it ..its either you can do it or you cant ..there's no in between when it comes to a crane in crane rental ..there's just to much at stake.

Nova Scotia as im finding after just moving here in the last few mth's ..theres different classes of crane ,capacity's and so on ...Your best bet and hears a few link's .. read ...Thats the best i can tell you ...Start with the OETIO in Dartmouth ,then Local 721,then the Ministry

OETIO link this is the finest facility in North America ..as well as one of the first ..If you can get in here ..you well be leaps and bound's abocve the rest they have it all ... http://www.oetio.com/

Local 721 OETI of Nova Scotia http://www.operatingengineerstraining721.ns.ca/main.aspx

Ministry link http://www.gov.ns.ca/lwd/equipmentsafety/craneoperator.asp

You should also note you well mostly be required to have your Class1 or what ever it is to drive tractor/trailer down here in Nova Scotia ..

Any other questions just ask ...

Last edited:

buddy605

Occupation
Engineering tech/ survey
The company you are working for , when I was working for them, was looking for someone to apprentice with the crane and was trying to talk my student in to this when we were moving things for the new trailers at fraggle rock. I cannot remember his name but he is older 50-60 skinny and use to drive a f250 single cab ask one of the supers and they might direct you to this guy. Depends on the mood they are in or which one Billy would proberly be a good one to ask.