• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Interesting counterbalance

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've had a couple of drinks tonight and that photo actually makes my heart hurt trying to figure out what i happening and what the purpose of the linkage set up is. I see a bug clamshell on the stick but I'm wondering if the linkage makes it so the machine doesn't fall over backwards when the stick is pulled in tight and the boom is raised all the way up.

crane operator

The guy who worked out the geometry of that counterbalance must have filled up a whole wall with equations and calculations.

That was actually two welders in a shop with a couple boxes of 7018.

And to be honest, with the little of what I know on how counterweight acts, I think this mess is doing more hurt than help. Evidently the dipper cylinder won't lift that big clam, but I would think upsizing the cylinder would have been a better solution than this mess. That's got to bang around and get terrible jumpy, with how that's all mounted.

The counterweight moving toward the toes of the tracks as it goes up, is hurting more than helping for overall stability.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I've had a couple of drinks tonight and that photo actually makes my heart hurt trying to figure out what i happening and what the purpose of the linkage set up is.

LOL John, I've had a few malted ones as well and wondering how that contraption stays connected together.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I'm thinking they're going to need a few more boxes of 7018 to fix all the boom and dipper cracking that is going to appear after a few hundred hours of use, with all that extra weight pulling on the dipper.

I mean to say, booms and dippers crack just from a sideways look, in normal use - let alone setting up that arrangement that is probably making the original design engineers shake their heads!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've been around a lot of excavators in my lifetime and I can say with a fair amount of confidence that I have never seen a broken Komatsu boom or stick. I was also wondering about that cord to the side of the machine and wonder if it is electric. The counterweight does look oversized and I've been around plenty of long stick machines. That's why I speculated on the back of the machine being light maybe because it only has an electric motor instead of a heavy diesel engine.

skyking1

it is sort of reminiscent of these harbor cranes I saw in Rostock Germany in 2019. They would tend to hold the load as you boom down, to what extent you would have to operate and see. There is the whole load line to boom pivot factor too. Fun stuff. Lots of Math @OzDozer :)
IMG_20190524_165128.jpg