• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International 175C information

bunkydad

I just bought an old 175C loader to use on the farm. I'm looking for some information on it.

The serial number is 4290004U003648*

IMG_20160914_073923893.jpg

It has pedal steer instead of the levers. Does it also have a decelerator pedal? The last owner said he just shifted between forward and reverse without decreasing the throttle. Is that right?

I bought the manuals from Jensales and the owners manual doesn't make any reference to the decelerator when the machine is setup for pedal steer.

I'll say this...its a beast. The hour meter works and it shows 727 hours.

4.jpg

Thank you

boone

Always glad to see a new 175 owner. She's a beaut! Based on dozerparts web site, look like you have a 1979 model. It also has the updated filter location (cabinet by the shifter). Looks very similar to ours.

The decelerator is built into the brake pedal. It will probably require some adjustment. You'll need to remove the floor pan to get to the adjustment rod which leads down to the pump, which you'll probably want to do anyway to inspect and clean around the brake pulleys.

Does your manuals show the pedal steer? You may be like us and have the older manuals. Jensales has the newer manuals, but they're not listed on the website, you have to call to get the newer.

What's your plans with the machine?

Mike Legg

Occupation
Retired But Still Working
From your SN, looks like a 1979. It should have three pedals, the middle pedal will be the brake and decelerator. Are you sure you got the right manuals? Our manuals give a detailed procedure for adjusting the brake and decel.

They are tough old machines which are fairly easy to work on. Biggest problem is finding certain parts and if you do find them they are extremely expensive.

First thing I would recommend is to change all filters, lubes, and go over it with a fine tooth comb. From the picture, looks like a good clean loader.

Refer to Boone's thread entitled "My First Track Loader" Has a lot of good practical information for the 175C owner.

bunkydad

I got the service manuals and I was able to find a section on adjusting the brakes. I'm still looking for the decelerator adjustment page.

We got it to do some big work on the farm we bought last year. We got a PC200 excavator last year (another piece of old iron) and the 175 will help move some of the big stuff we have on the property. I think I got a great deal on it (he even delivered it) and it runs like a top. No smoke, no leaks that I can see and low hours. He said he only used it to pile topsoil. I want to go over it front to back top to bottom but right not I have to use it to get the road base down but I will figure out how to get the decelerator pedal fixed. Right now when I push on it, it doesn't seem to do much of anything. Steering pedals seem to be adjusted properly.

I wish I could make time to post pictures like you have. Keep them coming.

boone

Sounds like you made a score. They're a very capable machine. Parts and parts prices can be a challenge, but if you shake the bushes enough, you'll find 'em. All of these type machines as you well know need to be worked on at some point. The good thing about the 175, is it's easy to work on IMHO.

bunkydad

So I used it for a few hours this weekend and saw antifreeze coming from the front of the engine. Moved it to a level spot, raised the arms up and put a brace under them and shut it down. Looks like the water pump went bad. There's a lot of wobble in the fan.

Any idea what the part number is for a replacement pump?

Do I have to take the radiator off to replace it or would there be enough room to leave it in place?

Thanks in advance

Mike Legg

Occupation
Retired But Still Working
For a DT466 engine, the whole assembly part # 677 863 C91. We have never had to replace the pump on ours. It would be nice if you could replace it without taking off the nose. Maybe someone who has done this job can answer your question.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Before you go to draining or leaving the machine with the loader standing on blocks, find a steel supply and pickup some heavy wall square pipe. Have it cut or cut it where it will sit over the lift cylinder rams on BOTH sides for safeties. I used 3" pipe with 1/4" wall for my machines in the past. Last 175 I worked on was thirty some years ago, had to roll the hardnose and pull radiator to access w/p effectively.

bunkydad

For a DT466 engine, the whole assembly part # 677 863 C91. We have never had to replace the pump on ours. It would be nice if you could replace it without taking off the nose. Maybe someone who has done this job can answer your question.

Thank you very much. I'll order it today.

I took a few pictures just for reference
IMG_20161025_072824072.jpgIMG_20161025_072838969.jpgIMG_20161025_072900834.jpgIMG_20161025_072911037.jpgIMG_20161025_072915942.jpg

dhutch

Congrats on the 175c, good machines as others have said. I was able to change the water pump on my td15c with the same engine, but I think the loader is a limited on room. If you can get the fan and guard out of the way, it can be done.
As for the decelerator pedal when you push it about halfway down it'll decel the engine, all the way down engages both brakes and ability for a parking brake . You should be able to find the adjustment procedure in your manual if not I'll look at mine when I get home and let you know where it's at. It's supposed to help cut down on wear when shifting the transmission I definitely like having mine some people dont like it though.

Jeffrey McKinney

Occupation
equipment operator
Greetings Gentlemen. This is my first post. I have enjoyed reading about your equipment. I have a 175c myself. Just over 3,000 hrs. Everything is straight, no bends or breaks. A good cleaning and a little paint would make it look like it only had about 3,000 hrs. on it. It also has the center brake-decelerator which I am not a big fan of. I have owned many IH loaders and dozers and my favorite set up was always hand steering with decelerator at left pedal. I now use excavators to load trucks so my 175 with brake decelerator, decelerates very quickly and I hardly use the brake. These machines are made to shift at full throttle. I do have a big problem trying to replace hoses. The hoses that lay on top of the lift cylinder, between 2 plates of steel with a small round access hole. I can get one wrench on and it is pretty, but cannot be moved a 1/4" in any direction. Someone please tell me what I am missing, and thank you. JM

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Most times the cylinder needs to be detached and collapsed then partially removed to replace the hoses
The access ‘hole’ is more a inspection point.
Crow foot wrenches some help but gain little as to leverage

boone

Hi Jeffrey, welcome to the forum. Are you sure you have a hose on the top of the lift cylinder? It typically has a hardline on top of the lift cylinder and the hose is at the bottom end of the cylinder. Now there is a rubber hose on the lift cylinder line that can be seen and accessed through the small round hole you describe, but that is a grease zerk hose for the bottom pin. At first glance you might think it's the hydraulic line.

I would imagine you'll need to remove the back skid pan to get at those hoses, but I can't remember. We've not had to replace or remove the lift hoses.

Jeffrey McKinney

Occupation
equipment operator
Most times the cylinder needs to be detached and collapsed then partially removed to replace the hoses
The access ‘hole’ is more a inspection point.
Crow foot wrenches some help but gain little as to leverage
Thanks for your input. That is exactly what I thought I would have to do. There are two I will replace. They power the clam shell. Just replaced the packing in the lift cylinders. Should have replaced them then.

Dozeroperator

"Dozeroperator" , l just bought a 175C , l push all l can on the middle pedal and it dont move , the steer pedals work up and down ok , ld rather have the middle decelerator pedal working and not have to decelerate using the hand throttle. l can imagine theres rust causing the problem , it dont look like an easy job down in there .

dhutch

The steer pedal works the throttle shaft by an adjustable bolt just under the fllor plate. When you partially push the pedal, it decels, further engages the brake. You may need to unhook the brake rod to see what's froze up. It's not that bad f a job, a loader has a little less room to work than a dozer is all. This is an old thread, may want ti start a new one.

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Heck, I've never used the middle as a decel. Never found any info in my manual for this...

Now the brake does work along with the lock. Next time I'm out in the woods, I'll look under the pan.

dhutch

Just noticed my post, should have read center pedal, not steer pedal. I show adjustments for it in my manual along with parts manual diagram. Definitely easier on the Trans to decel before shifting.

Dave Neubert

Take the fan and fan guards off and you should be able to change out pump