• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International 4300 DT466 engine issue

Bearhead

I have a '05 DT466(not Maxxforce), that I use as farm truck and hauling gravel etc. for farm roads, and is a great truck.
I have been running gravel up a steep grade and yesterday engine ran hot before coming downhill, just below 230deg F, it cooled running downhill no problem. At the bottom of the hill it started cutting out and very rough running. This morning I took fuel filter housing off completely, cleaned it and gravel trap out, no issues. Manifold pressure on Schrader valve 50-60psi. The oil was at low mark so topped it off, also low sump pressure/blowby.
After reassembling there was no change, it would take ten minutes or so idling before I could get it to run very roughly past 1000rpm with white smoke. After a while i got it to rev past 2500rpm, still white smoke.
This would seem an injector issue? but why all of a sudden, would the low oil level and hot temperature affect something?
Don't want to go buying new injectors if it is something I'm not seeing. Thanks

mekanik

Any warning lights on in the instrument panel? Where is the Schrader valve located that you took the pressure reading?
A 05 should have a Parker quick coupler on the filter cap not a Schrader valve can you post a pic of the fuel filter housing?

Last edited:

Bearhead

Any warning lights on in the instrument panel? Where is the Schrader valve located that you took the pressure reading?
A 05 should have a Parker quick coupler on the filter cap not a Schrader valve can you post a pic of the fuel filter housing?
Valve was above and to left on the manifold bolted to head. Pic of filter housing when I had it removed.
Water temp light came on and went off when temp cooled. No other lights showed.

Attachments

• 487ED4EE-C519-4C0C-9BC8-8E1BC1AF5DAA.jpeg
    487ED4EE-C519-4C0C-9BC8-8E1BC1AF5DAA.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 23

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Maybe just coincidence. Or, maybe some aged-out injector o-rings or an injector sleeve that just needed a reason to fail.

mekanik

There is a "Clean Power Harness" that connects to the batteries and supplies power to the engine ECM. It can have one or two positive wires and a ground. This harness is notorious for rubbed spots getting corroded. There are two or three connectors in the battery box and a fuse in the battery box on that harness that can have connectivity issues it also has a two or three wire connector near the fuse box on the fire wall. Unhook it at the batteries and cut the zip ties and pull it out and inspect it for damage. Make sure the terminals in the plugs have not been "Spread" open from age. I have seen the plastic on these plugs melt from poor connections.

There should be a quick coupler on the fuel filter cap. Check the pressure there when the engine is acting up. The fuel pressure regulator is inside the filter cavity. Its a stainless screw with a spring loaded plunger in it. It takes a 7mm allen socket to remove it. Take it out blow it out with compressed air and reinstall it. Its common for the pressure regulator to get debris in it as its on the unfiltered side. 50-60 psi sounds a bit low. Low fuel pressure should not cause white smoke just low power and hard start it sounds more like a timing or electronic issue.

Bearhead

There is a "Clean Power Harness" that connects to the batteries and supplies power to the engine ECM. It can have one or two positive wires and a ground. This harness is notorious for rubbed spots getting corroded. There are two or three connectors in the battery box and a fuse in the battery box on that harness that can have connectivity issues it also has a two or three wire connector near the fuse box on the fire wall. Unhook it at the batteries and cut the zip ties and pull it out and inspect it for damage. Make sure the terminals in the plugs have not been "Spread" open from age. I have seen the plastic on these plugs melt from poor connections.

There should be a quick coupler on the fuel filter cap. Check the pressure there when the engine is acting up. The fuel pressure regulator is inside the filter cavity. Its a stainless screw with a spring loaded plunger in it. It takes a 7mm allen socket to remove it. Take it out blow it out with compressed air and reinstall it. Its common for the pressure regulator to get debris in it as its on the unfiltered side. 50-60 psi sounds a bit low. Low fuel pressure should not cause white smoke just low power and hard start it sounds more like a timing or electronic issue.
Thxs, Will check

mekanik

There is no return line. The fuel from the pressure regulator returns the fuel back to the fuel inlet at the fuel filter assembly.
qaobO6T.png