• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International 4900 6x4

guyinthesky

Occupation
Tower Crane Operator (FM GRU 2560)
Hi guys and gals!

I had a buddy ask me to get some general opinions on value of a boom truck that will be up for sale at a Ritchie Bros Auction in the near future

It is a International 4900 6x4 w/a National 600C
Ritchie's Info
DT466, Eaton Fuller 15 spd, spring walking beam susp, 272 in. WB, 20 ft bed, 17 ton crane, hyd stabilizers

Ritchie's is saying they expect it go between 20k to 30k

Any ideas of what YOU would pay for it? or what its real value would be?

The more responses the merrier! thanks!

Cheers

Ed

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
You didn't give the year of each unit ,crane and truck ..it makes a difference ...

So with out knowing any thing of the crane other than its a 17 T unit...the truck really doesnt matter to some extent because its just a carrier and can easily be swapped....but that walking beam ..that's gonna beat the life outta that crane ....

If you could ,your gonna have to get a little personal with the crane ...are the out riggers sloppy ,heel pin bushing's ,boom hoist cylinder bushing's,wear pads in the boom ,any slop in the swing circle,functionality of any LMI...check the rear outrigger boxes ..it should be straight across the rear ..and make very sure that the Chassis hasn't cracked in the area's where the crane has mounted to the truck ..
that's where the real money comes in to repair...
check it all for function and sloppiness..it should be tight with in reason...any noticeable slop in the swing circle ...walk away just forget it ...it will cost more to replace than anybody would care to spend ..just to get a unit in service and passed by an engineer ,,, you don't want to find out the hard way why boom trucks also carry the trade name 'widow maker"..
the nationals also have a pressure gauge in the top right console ...if memory serves me correct ...at idle with boom retracted ...pull the boom retract lever in (to you)and you should be able to generate 1800-2200 psi ..and be able to hear the unit bypass hydraulically

without being able to get a little closer to the unit ...i wouldn't personally go deeper than 40k .. the trucks are fixed easy enough..
at least if the crane is garbage ..you have a truck ...and can make a little back selling of the crane as a complete donor unit ..

guyinthesky

Occupation
Tower Crane Operator (FM GRU 2560)
Thanks for the heads up Liehberr, I'm not entirely sure of the year of the unit...It looks to me like a mid 90's International Truck, if it was from a public utility the crane more than likely would have come from the truck. Therefore pegging it 1993-1997 range.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
...after seeing some of the stuff that came in either through corperte auction or Ritchie Bros...

If it did come from a public utility..it goes two ways -> one hell of a bargin ..or a rats nest...there were a few rats that came in the yard ..

Ive seen LMI display's from Greer and Pat ..that can retail up to $3500 for a typicial replacement ...load transducer upward to $1500...Head Sheaves up to $500 ,hoist line you can get into $600-1100 and so on ..it can get costly ...
A functioning LMI would make for cheaper insurance rates (shooting from the hip ...but it does make sense)
Thats why im kinda getting on over the crane ..its supposed to make money not cost money ...

another thing to consider ...how much up and down will it take to make her pay , all things considered..