• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International dash problems

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
2000 IH / NAVSTAR 8100 Dash cluster problems
Hey guys! I've got a really annoying problem. The dash cluster in my 8100 is working intermittently. On start up it cycles properly but once on the road it will " freeze " sometimes . By that I mean that the gauges ( all of them ) will stop moving. For instance I looked down while in a school zone and the tach and speedo said I was still going fifty at 1500 rpm when I know for sure that was not true. I pulled the cluster out this weekend , checked all connections, used dielectric grease on all connections , checked all mounts and grounds and reassembled. Then checked battery connections. Still having the same problem.
Any one had this problem before ? Suggestions????

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
yes my father had this problem on 4 internationals and 3 of them i sent the cluster to get rebuilt locally and problem went away and one of them it had a bad connection on the harness and when you would shake the wires on the cluster in the center of it by the steering column the gauges would start working but i sold that truck way before we ever sent it to be fixed. these trucks were all 97-01 4700's with dt466

dirtmonkey

Occupation
Good to know. I wondered if it was the circuit board. Will check it out. Thanks !:thumbsup

dirtmonkey

Occupation
Wish I could tell you something good but , no. I've been too busy and couldn't do with out the truck. Sorry man :beerchug. I plan on having the circuit board checked, just don't know when.
I'm having the same trouble in another thread about fixing my Ctl bucket. Asked for all the good advice and BAM ! Too busy to work on it. That's what I get for thinking I may have free time. :Banghead
I need a break !! :dizzy

Last edited:

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
A friend of mine has some international trucks and another works @ dealer ship we have had seen this problem on some trucks. there is a ground stud that goes thru fire wall on drivers side I think its above clutch pedal. its got wires hooked on both sides of fire wall with nuts check both sides of stud make shure they are tight and grounded good. they have known to come loose and cause all kinds of problems.also check for more grounding studs some trucks have more than one GOOD LUCK