• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International resurrection

Tinkerer

Phil,
That is a great looking paint job. I was wondering how you prep the machine before painting. Do you spend a lot of time sanding the rust ? Or do you sandblast it ? Are you real fussy about getting all the rust off ? Do you prime the entire machine before applying the finish coat of paint. What is your favorite type or brand of primer ? The reason I have so many questions is that I am going to paint my Case 680 and need a some advice on how to prep it. Thanks , Tinkerer

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Tinkerer, I ain't no painter (hate the stuff), but I have fooled around with a bit of the prep. The first thing is a serious cleaning to remove grease/oil. If your going to do the work yourself, it really all depends on how good a finished job you want. If you want it slick, you have to prep the rusty spots. Heavy pitting would require body filler or at least spot putty. A D-A sander is necessary to feather the edges of missing paint. I've always used an automotive type primer that thins with Laquer thinner, and you prime the whole machine before you apply finish paint. Most important, mask your cylinder rods. Nothing drives me more crazy than having a machine come back from a paint shop with paint on the chrome of the cylinder rods. :Banghead As for the paint or paint process, I don't do that.

Tinkerer

Good info ATCOEQUIP,
I steam cleaned the whole machine about ten weeks ago . It seems every time I want to get serious about finishing the painting, another job comes up and I have to get it dirty again. I haven't owned it very long and the previous owner never repaired anything unless it got so bad he couldn't use it. That is another reason I keep delaying the final stages of the paint job. Seven hydraulic cylinders have been repacked so far and I have lost count of how many hoses have failed. I do not abuse the machine it just seems that the repairs never end. The mechanical repairs would need another thread to describe them. Sorry Phil I didn't mean to hijack your thread but one question always seems to lead to another.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The mechanical repairs would need another thread to describe them. Sorry Phil I didn't mean to hijack your thread but one question always seems to lead to another.

Well heck man, start us a thread and show us some pics of the beast. :D

Hey Phil, did the painter do anything inside the cab? If I remember those old I-H machines, they didn't have a seat that would spin around, the flipped backwards to have a seat for hoe operation.

Tinkerer

ATCOEQUIP,
I will take some photos of the beast (it is a BEAST!)tomorrow and post them in a new thread. I love everyones pictures that are posted ! I will also list some of the repairs I have done so other members will realize they are not alone when it comes to never ending repairs on machines of any age.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Nope, no paint inside cab, need more cash for that:D. There were some original decals inside that were to frail to mask over, so we decided to leave it the way it was. I'm beginning to look at some of these machines as a piece of history and preserving the character they have.

Yes the seat is that funky flip up and over style, but it does work well, as does the hood.

Paint is Cat yellow(from Cat) with bright orange added, mixed 18:1. Fenders and exhaust are high temperature flat black which is brushed on, as no brush marks show with that paint. No primer needed for Cat yellow. Phil

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You need to get some pics of those decals, and measure the size of them. The guy that makes my decals can make new ones from pics. I've sent him pics of Japanese Kanji text decals, which I contract a fellow in San Diego to translate the text, then Brent has to make the decal like the original exept with the English translated text. I'd say he's wanted to choke me on several occasions. :D

Phil

Occupation
I have bad news to report, I sold it today:rolleyes:. I guess I won't need any decals. The good news is that I bought a 580K to fix up, so I'm not without a backhoe:rolleyes:. Phil

Last edited:

Phil

Occupation
"Dang...was the paint even dry???"
Just barely. The mosquitoes and deer flies were starting to practice landing on the hood:D. Phil

sidry

Occupation
PhD-student fluid dynamics (graduate in 3 weeks)
Wonderful resurrection! Too bad you sold it before you could enjoy your work.

Phil

Occupation
"how many hoe's you had over the years?......any pic's of the K?"

About 30 machines, I like backhoes. K pictures to come, it's very rough.

"Too bad you sold it before you could enjoy your work."

That's the way it goes, there is always another one. I've had a couple that I really liked and wanted to keep. Phil

Attachments

• IH 2.JPG
    IH 2.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 148