• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

International VT365? Would you buy one?

Stevenbrla

Still shopping for a truck... just haven't found the right one yet.

Looking at what seems like a good deal on a 2006 with a VT365. Just growing the net, the VT365 doesn't get the standard "good reviews" that the DT466 gets.

I see that this is an engine they build a Powerstroke with at one time. Supposedly, different fuel pump, and the Int'l detuned.

What you know about em?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The DT466 is a medium duty engine designed for medium duty trucks. The VT365 is the same platform as the 6.0 Powerstroke that Navistar built for Ford. The 6.0 has it's problems but is not necessarily a bad engine in a pickup. :cool2 They also put 6.0/VT365's and DT444E/7.3 PS's in the Ford and Navistar medium duty trucks in order to offer a lower cost platform, as a result the trucks with these engines have less re-sale value since it's a lighter duty motor with less service life in a medium duty application.

If you are going the Navistar/International route, I would highly suggest finding a truck with a DT466, they're legendary for a reason.

Stevenbrla

Thanks for the replies..

The truck I found was about $10k less than the ones with the DT466... but if it results problems... $10k ain't that much to eat up in repairs and delays.

I'll keep lookin...

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
The Ford 6.0 liter Powerstroke is a pretty good engine if you spend $4,000.00 on it to change the oil pump, intercooler, head bolts, head gaskets and injectors and add an EGR bypass kit.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The Ford 6.0 liter Powerstroke is a pretty good engine if you spend $4,000.00 on it to change the oil pump, intercooler, head bolts, head gaskets and injectors and add an EGR bypass kit.

I just had the oil pump and EGR delete kit installed on mine - $1900 with programmer to turn off CEL. Head gaskets, intercooler and oil cooler replaced under extended warranty by dealer.

Deleting the EGR and adding the programmer, I am getting 20 MPG highway and 15 MPG around town. I used to get 11-12 MPG around town and maybe 14 MPG on the HWY.

JDOFMEMI

Sounds like a good idea to do CM, but, here in Kalifornia we have to smog check our diesels now, so you are up a creek if you have done something like this.

I would not buy another Ford diesel other that a 7.3L ever. On the thread topic, if this engine is basically a 6.0L that is in the Fords, I would run away as fast as I could.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Sounds like a good idea to do CM, but, here in Kalifornia we have to smog check our diesels now, so you are up a creek if you have done something like this.

I am sure there is some law against it but at the moment we do not have smog testing. In the good ol' days I wouldn't be driving a 6 year old truck, it would have been traded off 3 years ago and three years ago I would have probably bought a DMax. The 6.0 has to last me until the economy gets better and the jobs start rolling in. By the time that happens, the 6.7 power stroke will have a few years on them and we'll be able to see if that motor holds up.

On the topic of pickups, a 2012 set up like my '06 F350 is right at $60K sticker.:eek: Even if I could afford a new truck I don't think I could stomach paying that much. If I am writing a check for that amount, it needs to be yellow and Cat on the side of it.:D

JDOFMEMI

I hear you. If I am paying 60K, I expect it to be something I can bill out at about $100 per hour or so.

buckfever

07 6.0 ford 6,000 in repairs. We also have a 08 6.4 and it's a POS also. If your looking for a service or dump truck you might want to look at the tarrastar line. They are priced a little cheaper and I would hope being a International it will be a little better truck.

Dualie

Terrastar is even worse, they are 6.4L powered like the 2008-2010 powerstrokes. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. the 6.0L in the binder trim werent horrible as the lower HP seemed to make them live longer but i still wouldnt own one.

buckfever

Can you get those in any other motor then the 6.4? I would think with a International platform you could get maybe a cummins. To bad cat doesn't make the 3126 anymore.

Dualie

No but they do offer it in several power levels but the 6.4L is the only engine option in the terrastars

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
No but they do offer it in several power levels but the 6.4L is the only engine option in the terrastars

Probably due to space constraints. The bigger IH engines might not fit.

Dualie

I think its more of a weight issue since the little terrastar is just a class 4-5 truck. Im sure size also comes into play as the hood and cab are set very low on the frame. Probably to low to clear the larger height of the I-6 engine.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I read that IH is going to make a 4x4 version of the Terrastar. I just don't like the way the 4x2 Terrastar looks, something doesn't fit right, maybe the 4x4 will look better. GM had the best lineup of trucks this size but shut down production, which was a shame.

Like it really matters what I think about the Terrastar since I couldn't afford a bumper for one right now...:rolleyes::D

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
If you do the upgrade work to a 6.0 Powerstroke I mentioned above don't take it back to a Ford dealer. If you want them to work on it they will insist on returning it to stock. So find a good independent shop that will do work for you. This will also have a labor rate far below the Ford dealer too.

buckfever

I read that IH is going to make a 4x4 version of the Terrastar. I just don't like the way the 4x2 Terrastar looks, something doesn't fit right, maybe the 4x4 will look better. GM had the best lineup of trucks this size but shut down production, which was a shame.

Like it really matters what I think about the Terrastar since I couldn't afford a bumper for one right now...:rolleyes::D

Ya we have a kodiack 4500. Great platform but so is the f-550, it's just that the motor is a pos. Has us thinking of going back to gas motors.