• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is Cat the Only One??

DGODGR

I am still looking for a 66" single drum comapctor (smooth w/pad foot shell kit). I can find many Bomag BW177s, and IR SD 70/77s. What I would like to have is a drive system that will put power to the drum and drive wheels regardless of traction loss to one or the other. I know that Cat has such a system due to seperate pumps and motors for drive wheel and drum. Is Cat the only one who has such a system? Can the effect be accomplished some other way, and more importantly does someone else offer said other system? Despite the obvious advantages on slopes, another primary concern is safe loading onto my trailer. I have loaded an SD77 on there many times, and it is pretty dangerous when the drum looses traction. I have not had this problem when loading Cats. I am not opposed to owning a Cat (I've had great luck with all the Cats I have owned) but they are usually much more expensive to purchase. I'm not sure I want to pay top dollar for a compactor that may not compact any better but climbs up the trailer better.

DGODGR

I have been talking to United Rentals about the BW 177s. They have finally got back to me with info on the drive motor set up. They said that the 177 only has one pump for driving drum and tires. Do they employ some other method of traction control?

JDOFMEMI

I have had the same problem at finding a machine that will climb slopes, actually push dirt with the blade, and as you say, climb on a trailer safely. Until recently, Cat was the only one I could find that would, but I recently rented a Hamm that had some sort of traction control and would climb slopes. It was not quite as good as the Cat, but close.

I have heard rumor that Sakai will do it as well, but have not seen it firsthand.

I have tried most others, IR, Dynapac, Bomag, and a few others I can't remember. They were all helpless, and just dropping the drum off of one lift, maybe less than a foot high, and they would spin either the drum or the tires, whichever had less traction, but never both. Cat was the only one that would go down into a 20' deep manhole excavation and come back out without a choker and something towing it.

I have even used a CP-563 as a knock down machine laying fill with 35 ton trucks. They are a beast.

DGODGR

I have a Hamm dealer here in town (Honnen Eqpt.) but the salesman told me that they do not have any used models. I can not justify a new purchase. I guess I will conact my Cat salesman and see what they may have used. The Bomags I have found are 35-40K, the I/Rs are a bit more (not sure why), and the Cats are 50K plus. Maybe I'll try an auction and see if I can get a Cat for a more reasonable price. I guess I would prefer the Cat anyway. Just not the price.

DGODGR

I would also like to get one with variable amplitude. Most all the ones I've seen on line have been single. I guess if you are only packing gravel that's fine but, as I said before, I would like to get a pad foot shell kit so I would prefer to have variable amplitude so it will be more effective onour difficult clays.

JOAT EQUIP

SAKAI has a traction system on their 84 inch roller (SV-510) that will surpass the CAT roller in Performance. It uses a basic controller to monitor wheel slip and correct it. If the controller should go bad or malfunction the machine can still be operated, it will just be a non-traction machine. The 67 inch roller ( SV-410) uses a more manual system where you can switch between normal flat ground operation and slope operation. There is a switch on the dash.
Hamm is really going after the market here in the US and you can normally get a decent price on a Hamm. Just watch out for electrical issues. There are more wires than steel on those machines.
CAT is CAT it is a rock solid machine, but you will pay for the name and all those things that go with it. (Parts & Service)

crazy-mp

There is a Bomag BW177 and a Hamm 3410 where I work and they are loaded on to dove tail trailers several times a week only time they have any spin issues is when the operator leaves it in the high side (rabbit) then right before the drum breaks over the incline it will spin the drum if they are backing on.

I have not spent a lot of time around the Hamm while its running, but the guys who run it say it hits harder then the Bomag, we also have a Hamm 120 asphalt roller and it will hit asphalt hard enough to break the rock, Hamm's seem to hit hard, but that's also hard on the machine on asphalt rollers water pumps are replaced more often than they should be because of the vibration. I replaced one this week that didn't even have 100 hours on it yet.