• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is it easy to learn a trade without ANY experience?

profrooky

Occupation
Professor
Hello Mossman:

Not sure if you're getting much encouragement from some of the other replies but I'll give you my story.

I had some mechanical inclination and wanted to be a Cat Technician some day so I put myself through college and graduated with a Heavy Equipment Technician diploma. Along the way I worked in a truck shop nights and weekends to get some experience. I got hired right out of college by the Cat dealer and was working as a field service before I had my license.

School isn't the only way to get you to your destination but it can be a good starting point.

If you really want something, put your mind to it and get some advice on how to get there and it will come together for you.

Good luck

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Maybe he did Gramps but now lets examine what kind of a job he has been doing is the occupant of the oval office. Can't say that being a community organizer/rabal rouser was much of a training ground for him. Or is being a black moslom and illegal alien got anything to do with it too

partsandservice

As far as other trades go I could not say, but if you are not mechanically inclined I think it would be a waste of time to try to mechanic. However, things can be learned by repetition . There are some dealership positions require limited skills, like pressure washing and floor sweeping. It seems the amount of knowledge required to be an anything that needs to be done tech is infinite . I have been at it over 20 years and am still learning daily.