• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

is snowplowing hard work on a grader

mickwa

I work for a small contractor in Albany, Western Australia. My boss is looking to buy a 2003 143 H which was snowplowing in the USA. We're wanting to know whether snowplowing is hard work for a grader. The grader has done 6000 hours.
Thanks.

Grader4me

Welcome to the Forum! In answer to your question...Snowplowing with a grader is not hard on the machine. What is hard on a grader or any other piece of equipment is poor maintenance and poor operating.

CAT245ME

Occupation
Cat 972H Loader operator
Welcome to the Forum! In answer to your question...Snowplowing with a grader is not hard on the machine. What is hard on a grader or any other piece of equipment is poor maintenance and poor operating.

X2

You definatly dont want a machine that has been run by someone different everyday, I know a local government garage has a Cat 140G that gets used heavy year round including snow plowing and is still going strong, but the grader had the same operator for years.

928G Boy

The only thing I don't like about machines that have been on snow a lot is rust. I've seen some pretty rusted out Graders and Loaders around here due to rust from snow removal. They work in a lot of road salt.

Komatsu 150

They can rust really bad but it is cosmetic mostly. The one thing that does happen is hitting curbs, manholes etc. This can cause severe damage, parts are replaced no big deal but you can have metal cracks and welds in serious places. Need to make sure they are properly repaired. One of my guys hit a curb and exploded the gearbox that turns the blade. Lift arms also broken several times. Otherwise snow plowing is easy work for machine and operator.

mickwa

we only have photos to check out the 143 at this time.The grader is located on the east coast of australia abit far away for a quick look.When my boss gets serious would be worth a better look for that rust and cracking .There are only 3 143h in Western Australia so hoping they are a good machine.

Sharky

Depending on how much your paying for it, as with anything, a $1,000 plane ticket will be well spent knowing that your getting a good machine. I have seen too many times that buying an "unseen" machine, a guy gets screwed!

My old boss bought an old crane at one time, new paint and supposedly a "Strong" machine in Excellent condition. After having it trucked across the country and receiving it, it was a major POS. It finished the job at hand, however, he paid over $150k for it. The job lasted about a month or so and could only sell it for $65k, Was which about its value.

Unless someone you know can physically check out the machine, it is always a good idea to "See for yourself" it's condition.

6000 hours on any machine is worthy of checking it over.

mickwa

I have recently spoken with a mate of mine who has a new 772D.He reckons we are making a mistake going with the 143H ii because they are only FWA and are no match for the 772D. Has anyone had experience with these graders thanks.

Grader4me

The only thing I don't like about machines that have been on snow a lot is rust. I've seen some pretty rusted out Graders and Loaders around here due to rust from snow removal. They work in a lot of road salt.

Yes, you are right as I should have mentioned this. Salt is hard on them.

One of my guys hit a curb and exploded the gearbox that turns the blade. Lift arms also broken several times.

Wow! You know, in over 25 years of plowing snow I have never broken a lift arm or exploded a gear box. Lucky I guess :beatsme

Komatsu 150

Yes, you are right as I should have mentioned this. Salt is hard on them.

Wow! You know, in over 25 years of plowing snow I have never broken a lift arm or exploded a gear box. Lucky I guess :beatsme

Sad part is this wasn't on the street at high speed, the operator hit an island in a parking lot with the end of the blade.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Clearing snow off paved roads is a gravy job for an operator. Tap both outside levers forward into "float", adjust your blade angle a little and away you go. Try not to fall asleep so you can sideshift the blade around parked cars/weird curbs. Oh and watch out for those lovely manholes that stick up 2" higher than all the other ones. Catching a steering wheel in the chest leaves funny bruises.

Grader4me

Clearing snow off paved roads is a gravy job for an operator. Tap both outside levers forward into "float", adjust your blade angle a little and away you go. Try not to fall asleep so you can sideshift the blade around parked cars/weird curbs. Oh and watch out for those lovely manholes that stick up 2" higher than all the other ones. Catching a steering wheel in the chest leaves funny bruises.

Oh Yeah..I could write a book about those things :cussing

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
One thing I did learn this year was that due to all the snow cover there were some shoulders that were not frozen really hard. If you were using the molboard on the float you might all of the sudden dig down in, stopping you quick. But I learned a ton this year as well, as far as using the tire lean and osilation to get the most out of your machine. And from what they say, more snow comming for this winter.

Trbo

Grader4me

One thing I did learn this year was that due to all the snow cover there were some shoulders that were not frozen really hard. If you were using the molboard on the float you might all of the sudden dig down in, stopping you quick. Trbo

Yup, you want to be careful of that. If you suspect that the shoulders might be soft in places don't use the float. When using the moldboard on the shoulders pushing back snow, I run the float on the pavement side only. I want to be in control of the side that's on the shoulder.

surfer-joe

Clearing snow is harder on a blade than one might think. Some good answers here on sudden shock loading due to manholes, frozen soil, curbs, pipes, and anything else that is hidden under snow. The constant vibration feeds back into the cold metal of the blade frame and linkages and weakens them over a period of time. The moldboard takes a real beating and if plow bolts are not kept tight, the bolt holes elongate and after that, the bolts can not be kept tight. Same with the moldboard brackets and slide bearings. If they come loose and are not taken care of right away, they will never be tight again without some rebuilding.

The final drives and chains take a beating from the near constant slipping and traction conditions encountered with snow plowing. Especially if the blade has been run with traction chains, as most are in winter. The chains become elongated and can cause jerking and sloppy brake engagement. The hoist cylinders take a beating as does the lift and side shift frames, again on cold metal. Look for cracks at all major welds on everything connected to the moldboard. Check for damaged brake lines at the final drives, chains tend to beat them up pretty bad. Generally, the swing gearbox gears, either brass or aluminum, will show more wear and tear than a blade just used in dirt.

About the only thing worse on a blade is working on haul road maintenance in a hard rock mine. But 140's or 143's are not often used for that purpose.

Oh yes, if the blade has been equipped with a wing plow or a vee-plow, look for damage at the frame where the wing was mounted, and check the front axle mounts carefully. That vee-plow ads a lot of weight to the front. Constant cold weather operation can damage the hydraulic system with excessive moisture and shock loading to various components. Cat's accumulator system helps with this, if it's working properly. Moisture is another matter. Besides causing extra wear on bearings and seals, it freezes and can cause cavitation and other problems.

These blades work in a harsh environment of brine and salt, which causes havoc with electrical wiring and switches. If they are not washed often, the corrosive effects can cause shorts and opens that are difficult and expensive to find and repair or replace.

There are a lot of good reasons state and county road departments get rid of these machines at 6-8000 hours. They still look pretty good and still usually run decently. But they are on the top of the curve at that age and start to lose value afterwards. Time to trade for new fairly trouble free units from a cost standpoint.

Be very careful with your purchase and make sure someone competent looks at the machine first. Check the units previous maintenance records, get a sims report from your Cat dealer, and try to get all the oil sample results from the previous owners. Good Luck!