• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Is stihl owned by Husqvarna?

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
The reason I ask this is because I recently bought a Stihl MS 260 PRO chainsaw and was showing it to a friend and he told me Husqvarna purchased Stihl and was using the Stihl brand as a lower grade saw. Seems like Husqvarna would have a monopoly on the industry if this transaction was allowed. Have any of you heard this?

"you should have bought a Husqvarna and not a Sthil". Guys need not reply to this thread.

dist3

Occupation
Equipment Manager Enviromental and Site Contractor
Husqvarna is owned by the company that owns Partner. As far as Stihl they have stayed true to there Dealers and not sold there products thru large retailers. i.e Lowes, Home Depot etc. At one time Jonsered and Husqvarna were both owned by electrolux if my memory serves me correctly.

fyrwood guy

Occupation
husqvarna chain saw dealer
electrolux sold off husqvarna,and now husqvarna is on its own.
husqvarna is considered the largest mfg of chainsaws. multiple brands.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
IMO sthil makes the best saws on the planet, i lost mine off the back of the truck and it went over a cliff on the way back from cuting fire wood. Took me an hour to get down to get it, i flipped the switch and pulled the start rope and she purred like a kitten! I won't own any other brand saw EVER!!

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
LOL .....wow ....sounds like my Dodge is better that your Chevy ... no its not ...my Ford is better than your Dodge ......lol ..... STIHL sells more chain saws than the top "5" manufacturers in the world put together and has never seen the lesser .... including Husky, Poulan, Jonsred, Sachs Dolmar ..... don't worry about it komastsukid he's razzing you to get you going.....LOL

Wolfcsm

I think that there are prople who will argue which is better forever. I have two Husky and three STIHL saws. I like the Husky saws but the two big STIHLS (066 and 880) I have are monsters. A Husky guy will tell you that his 3120 is better, but...

There are also lots of Dolmar, Johnsred and other brand lovers. Just which you find fits your needs and what you like.

Hal

Autocar

I have a half dozen 084's and 088 Stihls and I have went to 385's Husky there alot lighter and they don't have any rubber bushing like a stihl. Husky has steel springs and I have never cleaned a air filter on any of the Huskys , Stihls you clean about every day. Which is better ? Probably both of them but I will stick with Huskys myself there so much lighter and I am running a 34 inch bar and it still is lighter then my 88's with 28 inch bars

Wolfcsm

I have a half dozen 084's and 088 Stihls and I have went to 385's Husky there alot lighter and they don't have any rubber bushing like a stihl. Husky has steel springs and I have never cleaned a air filter on any of the Huskys , Stihls you clean about every day. Which is better ? Probably both of them but I will stick with Huskys myself there so much lighter and I am running a 34 inch bar and it still is lighter then my 88's with 28 inch bars

I would guess though that comparing the weight of an 85cc saw with a 34 inch bar to a 121cc caw with a 28 inch bar the 85cc saw is always going to be lighter. Weights are similar between saws of the same size the 385 XP G is 15.9 lbs and the MS650 is 16.5 - both without bars. The MS880 is 22.5 without a bar. I have mine outfitted with a 47 inch hard nose and full comp chain and it is very heavy. Not something you would want to work with all day. But neither would I want to work my 066 and a 36inch bar all day.

Hal

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
I have ran both brands quite a bit I prefer stihl but you cant take anything away from a husky. I have three 440 mag sthils and one 031 All run good with lot of power, for the weight its hard to beat the 440 but they had to screw that one up and quit making them

komatsukid

Occupation
loader operator/plant forman
I used my 260 for the first time today. Low vibration, light weight, and good power. All of these are contributing factors of why I bought this model saw. Cant speek much about the quality side of saw, only have about 1 1/2 hrs. on it. Ill write that post in about 10 years. So far I love it.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
I run Shihl, Husky & J-red, although each has their good and bad points. All are top notch saws.

Doesn't really matter what bar you put on an 084 Stihl, the fun factor goes away really quick......more so when its got 60" of steel hanging off it.

Ed

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Stihl is on top because of the quality of their dealer network, and the comparability of their product.

Saw againts saw they are equal, its if and when it breaks that you tell the difference.

They are not cheap to purchase, but at least you can take them somewhere to have them fixed.

husky bought out stihl.... thats a good joke.

thirdcoaster

Occupation
Slumlord
I bought the same Stihl last year to replace an old Poulan that I really, really hated. The Stihl is a pleasure to run and I don't have to work on it every time I want to use it. Don't worry about your saw being second tier to anything.:drinkup

Justin

Occupation
owner operator
I agree with stumpjumper the dealer network for stihl is great, all of the little towns I work in has good sawshop with good a good inventories to get a saw back to cutting. Dont really know with husky because stihl is king around here

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Stilh has been used in the logging woods here for years.When Husqvarna first started selling saws here all the loggers bought them.Light weight cheap didn't last long till all the loggers went back to Stihl.