• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Isx liner shims!

Truck Shop

Your liners have a blue O-ring correct and non tab shims in the lower counter bore?
Your looking for top counter bore shims?

Bullair389

I
Your liners have a blue O-ring correct and non tab shims in the lower counter bore?
Your looking for top counter bore shims?
I believe so lol. I am just going off of what my mechanic told me. We can find 0.020 and 0.032 shims but we need 0.050 shims. I have a buddy that can get them but he’s 4 days away. I just got told 50 thou liner shims lol for 152 diameter liners

Last edited:

Truck Shop

You may not be missing something-but these outfits sometimes don't have every item listed.
MDS is a bigger outfit you might want to give them a call, because they have several vendors.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none

How do you feel about aftermarket engine parts such as MD supplies in general? Would you use an inframe kit like this in anything you were working on?

3k is a lot cheaper than probably 10K or more for the same thing from Cat, but is the stuff any good? I know on the automotive side much of the aftermarket stuff is junk. You buy a cheap rebuild kit and the rings don't fit right, ect. Some of the aftermarket stuff is decent, but you kind of have to know what you are doing. The same with heavy parts?

Truck Shop

Really there is too much talk about aftermarket parts that are defective. Most of the aftermarket
especially for Cummins is Federal Mogul F/P Diesel same with automotive. Social media has
produced tons of fictitious stories of engine failures caused by Aftermarket. Cummins no longer
supports anything below a N14, most all 855 Cummins OEM parts are gone. So the only choice
is aftermarket.
I installed countless Clevite engine kits in all types of Cummins CPL's years ago, I don't remember
any issues. Also installed Interstate McBee in cats, And some Clevite in Detroits. The only area I've
found is gasket material.
One always has to consider the experience level of the person performing the work along with
the environment the work was done. I've walked through some so called repair shops that are so
filthy, crap piled up a common rat wouldn't live there. Not to mention the slob who owns it is a pig.
I doesn't matter what brand of parts are being installed if there is no true professional approach.
Mahle owns just about every major aftermarket parts producer.
There were thousands and thousands of automotive engines rebuilt with all aftermarket parts,
just to name a few. Perfect Circle, Hastings, TRW, Clevite, Melling, Michigan, Safe Guard, Silvolite.
Manley, Goodson. Engines that ran just as long if not longer that a OEM.
Truthfully if a Mechanic {not a tech} knows his business knows industry standards, all will go well.
Also a very good understanding of automotive machine and what is correct and checks the
machinists work before installing. 95% of issues come from not properly inspecting parts on
disassembly and clean/inspection.
Sure there is some cheap parts to stay away from-but that has always been. Countless automotive
camshafts have been ruined or life shortened because of improper break in during the first 15
minutes of operation. Breaking in a diesel is the same needs to be run for a minimum of 2 hrs
with at least 75% of weight or load of a full load. That doesn't happen very often, unless pre
dyno loaded. But given all that it only takes one idiot that can tear up a anvil to ruin good work
and parts no matter the brand.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Between 71 Series Driptroits and old Series Cummins, used a Great Deal of Clevite to save a customer some money, absolutely nothing wrong with them. Reliance makes or sells great AG Engine reman parts, Heads, Rods, Pistons, replacement bolts, Sleeves etc. Go to Deere and order old Two lunger parts, get the parts out of the Deere Boxes and chances are will find Reliance cast in them somewhere,

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The IPD Pistons and sleeves I installed looked EXACTLY like Cat Parts, had CAT p/ns, suspicion is made in Same plant as CAT just rebadged. Head I bought, where the CAT Trademark was on old one was a Grinder mark, likely out of Same Mould Line.

Truck Shop

One of the last engines I rebuilt a Series 60 14L has IPD because it was a three week wait on
OEM. It has over 500K on it still going hauling spuds in Idaho.