• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IT28F engine problem sounds bad.

hosspuller

Now I have a question for you all.
I found an IT28G located in Florida with a bad transmission engine model 3056 Selling price about what the engine rebuild will cost us. Has about 11,000 hrs on it. Can that engine be put in the IT28F?
Phil P
Money between rebuild engine and Florida engine equal...
Service hours between rebuild and Florida engine … zero vs 11,000
Answer is ... Unless you want scrap metal sitting around. Some of us have that compulsive engagement. :rolleyes:

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
I agree even though we have 11,000 acres to hide the left overs I still would not go for a used 3116.

Phil P

Cmark

I'd like if I may, come to the defence of the 1.1 and 1.2 MUI engines. In my experience they are a good engine if properly maintained. I suspect they get a bad rap from people who don't have the knowledge or tools to repair them correctly when they do break.

This is an oil analysis history for a 3116 we used to look after. A model of reliability until 9500hrs when you can clearly see the analysis flagged a problem. (This turned out to be due to a split air intake hose. After the repair the wear metals began to trend downwards again but the decision was made to sell it.)

3116 SOS.jpg

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Cmark

You are correct with the first line of your post.

The machinist wasn’t talking about field reliability he was talking about the tooling he has to rent in order to do the job correctly.

I don’t have much for records for the machine I am working on but I believe it is in excess of 15,000 hrs.

Phil P

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant

Hi

I have been unable to find the engine serial number.

Our local dealer says Caterpillar doesn’t have it in their records.

I did get the arrangement number 1017528.

Cat has advised me there is a factory reman located in Alabama for $22,000.

Here is the oil report for the transmission.

What is your opinion about the reliability of the transmission?

Phil P​

Attachments

• 4371949_3CL00239_3CL00239_D260-50034-0038_MC.PDF
    148.8 KB · Views: 7

Cmark

One sample in its own is of limited usefulness, but on the face of it yours doesn't look great. The Aluminium is notably concerning.
How was the sample taken though? Seeing as your machine isn't running, your sampling technique probably makes the analysis unrepresentative of the actual condition of the transmission.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hi Cmark

I agree with a lot of what you say but take this into consideration.

Totally unknown time in use years or hours of the oil.

The only fact I have is the filter has not been remove in the last 8 years.

The oil sample was taken from the oil in the filter when I removed it. I have cut the filter open and did find 2 small pieces of aluminum and that was all.

Before I authorize the purchase of a reman engine for $23,000 I will drain that transmission and pull the screed / magnet for inspection.
Please remember they have 35 pieces of equipment and no full time mechanic. I am training a young fellow to do the service but in the ranching business it is normally considered that everyone work cattle, fix equipment and mend fence etc. For this reason servicing equipment is not on the top of the list.

Phil P

Cmark

Given your current situation, draining the oil, checking the suction screen and cutting the filter is about all you can do to guess the state of the transmission. Your oil sample report can't be relied on.

I'm not trying to disrespect you or tell you you're doing it all wrong and I fully appreciate that everyone has different circumstances to work under. What I am trying to do for anyone who wants advice within my area of expertise is give an honest opinion.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I have been unable to find the engine serial number. Our local dealer says Caterpillar doesn’t have it in their records.
I did get the arrangement number 1017528.
Cat has advised me there is a factory reman located in Alabama for $22,000.
The 101-7528 engine Arrangement Number is unique to the IT28F, it's used in no other model.
Your local dealer is correct. No engine Serial Number appears in the system for your particular machine.
After having looked at a bit of engine data I reckon there is a good chance that the original engine is one of three, all Arrangement Number 101-7528, that were built around that time frame but were not allocated to a specific machine. The Serial Numbers are 98Z02279, 98Z02285, & 98Z02292.
Now I could be wrong and all three may have been built for the Parts System but my bet is that one of them is quite probably in your loader.

What Part Number of Reman engine is the dealer offering for $22k.? 10R-7258 or 0R-4881.?

A last curve ball. If there is no sticker on the valve cover bearing the engine Serial Number, and neither is there a plate on the cylinder block with the same number, is there any possibility that the engine currently installed is in actual fact NOT the original OEM engine that was in the machine when it left the factory..?

upload_2020-2-7_15-25-21.png

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The noise I heard in the rev up vid sounded HORRIBLE, piston tapping valves back closed or worse trying to turn sideways in a bore. Can see a scalded piston with the aluminum levels in the oil or burn't crown.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello Niger

I have a strong suspicion you are correct with that last stamen.

I would guess the lack of any ID on this engine indicates it is not the original or at least has been out of the machine for a major repair.

Just as something interesting to me your screen name.

I worked in a country in Africa with the same name. It was a pleasant stay for a short period of time even though I don’t speak French.

Phil P

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Niger I am back.

Would you have a recommendation for draining the fluid from the IT28F transmission? According to the manual it holds 9 gallons if the drain plug is anything like the one in the 930 that means I will take a bath in hydraulic oil. LOL

Phil P

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Just as something interesting to me your screen name.
I worked in a country in Africa with the same name. It was a pleasant stay for a short period of time even though I don’t speak French.
A small difference. the African country has an "r" at the end of it, my name doesn't.......
Would you have a recommendation for draining the fluid from the IT28F transmission? According to the manual it holds 9 gallons if the drain plug is anything like the one in the 930 that means I will take a bath in hydraulic oil.
If it has hydraulic oil in the transmission then it's got the wrong oil in it...... it should have SAE30 TO-4 for climatic conditions in Florida.
Unfortunately that model is not equipped with an ecology drain which would make it easier. A further suggestion, the best time to drain the oil is when it is at normal operating temperature. This may or may not be an option with the current engine problems.

Did you ever get the Reman Part Number from the dealer.? See post #52 above.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hi

Yes I didn’t notice the absence of the “R”.

No I haven’t talked to the dealer about that yet. I had been so busy that I didn’t see your question until too late. They did say the 1017528 was not available but a replacement for it was the price quoted for the 3116 factory remanufactured engine was $22,890.00 plus shipping.

As for the fluid in the transmission I have no idea what is in that transmission I have not changed it so just don’t know. TO-4 is a hydraulic fluid just not the same 10W fluid used in the lift system.

I just call all of hydraulic fluid. I guess I should call it the transmission fluid. LOL

I did use TO-4 30W in the 930 and I do agree with you the TO-4 fluid has more friction inhibitors
Than plain old hydraulic fluid.

Phil P

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello All
Here are some pictures of the transmission screen and magnet from the IT28F.
I do not know how many hours and only know it is 7 years plus sense last oil change.
The stuff on the magnet doesn’t alarm me much. The 2 shiny pieces are aluminum and that would go along with the elevated aluminum in the oil analyst. View attachment 210603 IMG_3011.JPG IMG_3002.JPG
Phil P

Attachments

• IMG_3011.JPG
    IMG_3011.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3010.JPG
    IMG_3010.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 5

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
IMG_3002.JPG