• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

IUOE apprenticeship

Cade Warner

Sorry this isn’t directly heavy equipment related, I got into the IUOE apprenticeship and my then and still current employer “rehired” me off the books as they are a union contractor. My biggest question is if I wanted to go somewhere different would I be able to call the hall and have them put me back on the books? If I left and went to get hired through the hall would it get marked as me declining work?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Gonna have to call your Business Rep, different Halls, rules adjust.

I was IUOE 148, we were Stationary where our Local rules were different to Moving Equipment .

Welder Dave

Why would you like to work at a different shop? Is there something unsafe or another employee causing you trouble or you just don't like what you're told to do. The reason(s) you want to go somewhere else could make a difference on if you'll be able to just go back on the list.

Tinkerer

Cade said in his first post that his question isn't heavy equiment related.
I understand that it his emplyment situation.
Local 150 that I am in represent a lot of different occpations. Surveyors are one example.
Municipal emplyees is another.

Cade Warner

Why would you like to work at a different shop? Is there something unsafe or another employee causing you trouble or you just don't like what you're told to do. The reason(s) you want to go somewhere else could make a difference on if you'll be able to just go back on the list.
I’m contracted as a heavy equipment operator, my co workers can be tough to get along with but I don’t really care I can manage it. I get used as a laborer 95% of the time which wouldn’t bother me if that’s what I signed up for. I hardly ever get to run equipment so it’s difficult to get the hours I need for the apprenticeship

Cade Warner

I work at a family owned company in my hometown and I’ve known all my co workers since I was a kid. The only issue I have is not getting to run equipment. That sounds kinda bratty I guess it’s just what I’m contracted as. I joined the apprenticeship because running machines is a passion and I love it. I Just don’t get to do it here

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You are in your test period, give up now and the work you want may never come. Have to eat a little crow and be a laborer for awhile to gain trust that you will listen and remember who is the trainer and who is being trained.
Been there, done it many times, still have respect from those old hands I could stick out the test days.

In Teamsters is where I experienced this first, tons of grunt cleanup, dragging heavy tools to and from tool room. Listened to the old guys, figured out what and where I needed to be when in a job with another mechanic journeyman and learned to be a step ahead, then I was taught more advanced. Learners were called Plebe, answered to it as well.
At the Nuke, in my thirties, I was called Duck. Follow the leader like a duckling, remember what shown and became good enough to gain trust in judgement and work.
Buying beer after end of shift bought extra knowledge.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

OK, I understand where you're coming from. I have a welding background and was lucky I got to actually weld and build things as a 1st year apprentice. I worked in a tank shop and did some work on tanks and building skids but mostly built hooped safety ladders for 400bbl and larger tanks. I did it for 7 1/2 month's and the guy in the tool crib said I must dream of ladders. Kind of monotonous but a lot of 1st year apprentices get stuck on a grinder and doing grunt work and barely get to grab the stinger. I suspect it may be a similar situation with new equipment operators. I didn't work in union shops too much but have heard it's pretty much the same. You should talk to your BA and find out what exactly the job description is for a 1st year operator. I would think driving a packer or other less complicated machine might qualify. Then you could work up to driving a truck and maybe get training to run a skid steer. If the union has a laborers division and you're treated as more of a laborer than what an operator should be doing then you could have a legitimate complaint. How long have been in the union? Maybe the company is testing you, in a way, to see how dependable you are doing mundane tasks. Everybody has to start at the bottom doing the less desirable tasks.

Tinkerer

I work at a family owned company in my hometown and I’ve known all my co workers since I was a kid. The only issue I have is not getting to run equipment. That sounds kinda bratty I guess it’s just what I’m contracted as. I joined the apprenticeship because running machines is a passion and I love it. I Just don’t get to do it here
You are in way different situation than someone that is an apprentice and was dispatched to a contractor.
Not one I would want to be in.
Were you employed there before you became an apprentice ?
If you were, did pizz off your employer and any of those co-workers ?
You may never get to run equipment much if that is environment you are in.

Cade Warner

You are in way different situation than someone that is an apprentice and was dispatched to a contractor.
Not one I would want to be in.
Were you employed there before you became an apprentice ?
If you were, did pizz off your employer and any of those co-workers ?
You may never get to run equipment much if that is environment you are in.
Never did anything that I could think would make them mad at me. The owners are basically family to me, marriage through grandparents and what not whole different story, known them forever. It’s not just me, they have more operators than laborers and they use all the younger guys as full time laborers and even some of the older guys. I‘ve been told by multiple co workers that if I want to learn to run equipment then I’m with the wrong people. And yes I have worked here since I turned 18 and I got into the apprenticeship about 6 months ago right around my 19th birthday (I know my length of time in the apprenticeship isn’t helping my case)

Cade Warner

OK, I understand where you're coming from. I have a welding background and was lucky I got to actually weld and build things as a 1st year apprentice. I worked in a tank shop and did some work on tanks and building skids but mostly built hooped safety ladders for 400bbl and larger tanks. I did it for 7 1/2 month's and the guy in the tool crib said I must dream of ladders. Kind of monotonous but a lot of 1st year apprentices get stuck on a grinder and doing grunt work and barely get to grab the stinger. I suspect it may be a similar situation with new equipment operators. I didn't work in union shops too much but have heard it's pretty much the same. You should talk to your BA and find out what exactly the job description is for a 1st year operator. I would think driving a packer or other less complicated machine might qualify. Then you could work up to driving a truck and maybe get training to run a skid steer. If the union has a laborers division and you're treated as more of a laborer than what an operator should be doing then you could have a legitimate complaint. How long have been in the union? Maybe the company is testing you, in a way, to see how dependable you are doing mundane tasks. Everybody has to start at the bottom doing the less desirable tasks.
I’d like to think they were just testing me to see how dependable I am but I’m all reality the only people that run the crews are the direct family members of the owners (sons and brothers). They’ll get off they’re equipment to come do something on another piece before they’ll let anyone else get on anything. They’re good people they just don’t trust anyone other than family to run their stuff

Cade Warner

talk to your B A. Make sure he understands your situation. you are really kind of caught between a rock and a hard place.
The only reason I haven’t talked about it with my boss or called anyone yet is because my boss has done a lot for me. He has a pretty big name with our local union so I’m sure his letter of recommendation did me some good on getting in, and he’s sending me off with a semi to go take my cdl test later this month. I’d feel bad leaving them a hand short I just don’t think staying there is what’s best for what I’d like to do

crane operator

I have worked here since I turned 18 and I got into the apprenticeship about 6 months ago right around my 19th birthday

So if I read this right- you started working for them at 18, you're now 19. I'll just be honest- you don't know enough to be running equipment full time. Being on the end of a shovel or a grade rod is the best learning you can get. At 19, you wouldn't be running equipment every day, for any contractor I know.

have more operators than laborers and they use all the younger guys as full time laborers

Its climbing the ladder, you have to learn to walk before you can run. I think you have unrealistic expectations of your employer.

Welder Dave

In the past many future operators started off as oilers and greased the machines and did basic maintainance. If the operator liked them would give them a lot of pointers and maybe even let them run the machine a bit at the end of the day or waiting for something else to be done before they could continue. Watching an experienced operator do a job can be awe inspiring how easy they make it look. It takes years of practice though. Hang in there, it sounds like they might want you driving a dump truck or something along those lines.

Mechanicsville804

I'm not sure your current situation because, we are hearing your side of the story only, but I can say Don't move to fast. Make sure you're a master on the ground and the time will come that you get some seat time and you'll be really glad you have a full understanding of what needs to be done on the ground. Don't rush my friend.

Tinkerer

That is a typical family owned construction company. The family members and friends will always get priority on running equipment instead of doing grunt work.
You are fortunate that they sponsored you in the apprenticeship program. I'm certain they did that with full expectation that you would stay with them for a long time.
In my local a business agent would not be too pleased to see you quit them and expect to be dispatched out of the hall.

Welder Dave

Family businesses can be a pain if you're not family. My former neighbor ran a demolition company and even reading online reviews about family members always fighting and arguing. It took me over 2 month's to get paid on a 400K job. I heard from someone who worked on another even bigger job where there were problems and people were owed wages, the owners son drives up in a Corvette to tell the employee's the pay cheques will be 3 or 4 weeks late. Of course the son was paid first and didn't have to wait until the progress payments were released. The people contracting the job out held back the money because the job wasn't going as planned. Other family businesses run like clockwork and a good owner will reward and treat everyone with the same respect they deserve and promote the best people whether they are family or not.