• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

iveco 2.9 diesel 3cy engine

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
HI anybody out there removed a fuel injection pump from a 2003 Case IH 1075 c farm tractor with 3 cyl Iveco engine 2.9 litre also used in a Ford New Holland tn75 and no doubt many other applications. need procedure to get it on the engine position to remove procedure thanks
also are any special tooling needed? pump is a Bosh ve I believe

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Look under the inj pump.. there should be a screw cap to insert a timing pin..
On the Cummins application they have the timing pin made into it.. but not the Iveco..

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
there is a lock on the fuel pump itself that i am aware of ,its a bolt you loosen remove a flat plate then tighten it up to lock the shaft.....but I need to get no 1 cyl at tdc on compression stroke its NOT easy to remove the valve cover.so I had hoped there maybe was a cover or some thing to remove to push a lock pin thru into a hole in the gear to lock the cam. there seems to be a pointer cast into the timing cover and a very faint line on the crank pulley not sure if its commencement of injection or tdc.no other marks. I looked for a flywheel window couldn't find one. removed the starter to view flywheel saw no markings

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
so I did take pics but the turned out poor quality. so found out this.....remove the round time cover plate. view the cast in timing pointer ..turn the engine. on the crank pulley slowly there is one mark align it. remove the nut in the Centre of pump gear, mark gear with paint marker referencing its meshing gear. look to see where the key is at it should be at 8pm.lock injection pump .pull gear from taper pump shaft. remove pump hope it works!!! not much imfo out there on this little engine but showing 10000 hrs so it must be decent! thanks for helping

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Are u positive about that 8:00 position.??
U said u thought it was a Bosch VE pump.. is it.?!
Bosch pumps time at 6:00 for a 6 cyl..& 10:00 for a 4 cyl..
The key always lines up with the # 1 cylinder on the pump..(3cyl)

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
heres the pump

Attachments

• IMG_20240415_153404_431.jpg
    IMG_20240415_153404_431.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 8

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
well I may be in trouble then!! .... info came from the shop manual for the IH 1075 farm tractor.But im not to worried as after lining up the various marks and locking the pump.it went to a pump guy who removed only the top of the pump and put seals in it he never unlocked it and we never moved the engine....I will still send a pic of under the pump when I get a good one because I would like to know for future knowledge where the lock pin goes in. thank you pump guy!!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Was the manual for an engine with a Bosch VA pump.??
If all u needed was the top cover resealed and the timing wasn’t unlocked.. you’ll be ok..
But your right, u should learn the proper way..
Good luck and let us know how u make out..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
One more thing..
Like I wrote earlier, the key-way is supposed to line up with the # 1 outlet on the pump..
U can figure out which pump cyl is # 1 by following the steel inj line to the # 1 injector..
Let us know if u had it right..
HOPEFULLY the pump guy doesn’t unlock it and reset it to spec..
I get A LOT of pumps like that.. I ALWAYS have to ask if they knew how to time it..
For some reason, nobody likes to buy manuals anymore.!!

stourpaine

Occupation
Retired mechanic
so heres some pics went down last night and put it on you will note the keyway lines up with a reciprocating mark. the engine is at tdc. did take a good look under the pump foe a screw plug or pin none visible.

Attachments

• pump 1.jpg
    pump 1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 8
  • pump 2.jpg
    pump 2.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 7
  • pump 3.jpg
    pump 3.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 8