• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 1550-B hydraulic oil site glass question...

Coytee

Other day, I noticed some dampness under my site glass area. Looks like I've got some oil weeping out of there. Don't yet know if something is cracked or loose (wife has too many other projects we're doing for me to have time to dig into this)

Called JCB, asked for a schematic and now have it....it's attached. Pardon that I've got all 4 pages attached. I'm only asking about what's on page 1-2.

Page 1, item 6,7,8 are the items I'm speaking of. Looking at page 2, item #7 is a tube and it says 3.5 metres. I'm a bit drop jawed. Let's call this 10 feet. Is this just a hose that attaches elsewhere to bring fluid level to this window? I've never seen a hose and have always thought it was direct access to inside the tank.

Hose would make a LOT of sense now that I think about it and given the schematic has a Quantity amount of zero, I presume this is somewhat generic and I'd obtain it locally verses from them.

Oh, and thanks to this schematic, I see there is a suction filter, #17. I had an "OMG" moment when I got this as I've never know this existed. When I had JCB on the phone, (me owning up to my ignorance and stupidity) I asked him if it's reasonable that this might need to be cleaned/replaced after........about 20 years of ownership. He got my drift, laughed a bit and said "yeah, we might consider giving that some attention after 10 years....."

Sigh. (puts on bonehead of the year cap)

Ah, what the heck.... I'll do a full admission. I have pink transmission fluid. I changed it (full drain)...STILL pink. What the heck? I was debating on doing another full drain, put my remaining 2-quarts of fluid in, add some diesel to wash it out a bit, then drain. Replace it all again (I already have the 5-gallon jug to do this). Well, when I was under there replacing my dump/curl hoses I noticed something on the shift lever/transmission transition point. The boot that covers the top of the transmission where the lever enters, has essentially disintegrated. It's a black, sticky mess and appears to be only 50% there.

BINGO, now I know where the water is entering system! So I asked about that and am going to replace the boot inside the cab (which has also rotted away) and this, THEN I'll drain/flush the fluid.

I figure I just saved myself from wasting around 4 gallons of fluid as I had no idea there was a second boot under there! (part #3 which they call a "Gaiter").

Attachments

• Shift boots and hydraulics.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 13

Coytee

It's item 17 on the first page, filter strainer. It's hidden behind a bolted on round plate. I've always presumed that round plate was there to access service on the pump or something like that. Learn something new every day. I need to pull machine up to house to dig into the site glass drip AND see how far down I need to dig into the transmission boot to see what exact parts I need to replace. I want to do it once and get all appropriate parts up front.

Attachments

• 1550B suction filter.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 8