• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 541-70 transmission error code P172E-00

Cheeseman70

I have a JCB 541-70 Agri Super. It has the six speed power shift transmission. The emissions system was deleted before I bought it. I've used it multiple times per day for several years and there has been an intermittent problem that has been getting much worse. The error code P172E-00 comes up shortly after starting and the transmission will not work while it has that error code up. It basically 100% of the time only comes up after starting, never during use. It used to be that the error code would go away after idling a short time, sometimes just a few seconds to maybe a minute. Now it basically throws the error code at each start and sometimes it takes over 15 minutes before it goes away and I can use it. It works as normal when it works. I have tried revving the throttle, rocking the machine with the loader, and moving the machine with the telescoping boom and nothing seems to help the error code go away.

I purchased this machine several states away form someone that supposedly buys JCB (and maybe other brands) from overseas and uses and resells them.

I used to have a local JCB dealer 45 minutes from me, but the dealer ship closed and now my dealer is 2 hours away. I had them come out on a separate issue which involved going into the computer and changing a setting, but I didn't realize when I called them that they would not be able to do anything because it had been deleted. I spent about a $1000 to find that out!!

Does anyone have an idea what I should look for?

Serial number JCB5TBYJE02173737

skata

Do you have a service manual? You can buy one off eBay for cheap.
Do you know what the code means exactly?

Cheeseman70

I did get a service manual but I don't find any instance of this fault code in it. It is 2500+ pages so maybe it is in there somewhere, but I haven't found it by searching. I did post this on another forum and someone told me of a good site jcbservicecode.com and it's called a transmission control fault. That person suggested wiring or connectors, and told me the transmission control was behind the seat. Mine isn't behind the seat, but there is some electronic module under the seat, and when the light came on for me I wiggled the wires and the code went away, so hopefully I've found the problem.
Thanks

Cheeseman70

Sad to say that the problem is not fixed by wiggling wires and connectors under the seat. I also spent about an hour going through the service manual in the transmission part of it and there is no specific trouble shooting part about what to look for with specific codes. I did find out what the transmission computer is looking for to operate and I wonder if the oil temp or oil pressure switch or wires may be the problem, but hate to just start throwing parts at it.

mekanik

I have no experience with JCB equipment. From my experience the majority of electronic problems are caused by wiring issues and connectivity. I would start at the batteries and make sure all the terminals are clean and tight and all power supplies from the batteries are good. Check the battery grounds and at the starter as well.With the batteries disconnected pull every plug on the harnesses apart and check for pins that are corroded or not fully installed in the plugs. I have seen the rubber seals on plugs that were omitted or rolled over when the plugs were put together and did not seal letting moisture in and corroding. Sometimes the pins do not get pushed into the plugs far enough to lock and they pull back and make an intermittent connection or no connection. Wires can rub through the insulation and the copper corrode away or intermittently short to ground.

skata

I think you need to find what the error code is for. Otherwise you're just playing a guessing game. Did you come across the fault code list in the manual?

Joe D Henry

I have the same machine but older. I also have the same code and exactly the same problem. Mine is old enough to not have to delete so I will be taking it to the dealer when I get a chance. I'll let you know what I find out.