• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB steering acting up (1550B)

Coytee

1987 JCB 1550-B backhoe/loader

Back story: Needed rear stabilizers rebuilt. Had kit in hand, unable to get pins out. Had to drive machine to friends house (machinest) and had to CUT the pins and he fabricated new ones.....literally took us all day yesterday (near 10 hours)

I got home around 9:30 PM last night so have not had any chance to look at anything.... so,

ON DRIVING HOME......I had a couple times where the steering wheel "locked up" (became difficult to turn). I was able to manhandle it to make it work (and stay on my side of the 2-lane road!)....if I had to try to describe it, I'd say it would be similar to driving a car with a loose steering pump belt....sometimes it catches, making steering normal, sometimes it slips, making steering very difficult.

As I got closer to home, the problem worsened where I was near fighting the wheel to finally take the curves to get to my house.

I've not looked at anything yet as I'm still down on my energy from our 10 hour fight with the stabilizers yesterday and don't yet know where to look.

So, all fluids are full. I HAVE heard a bit of a whine every now & then up front. I originally thought my hydraulic fluid was low (because of my stablizers leaking over time) I topped it off and it's full.

I have NO idea where to look for this....but having this choppy "manual" steering isn't going to work.

Any knowledge/help as to where to look?

I appreciate any thoughts.