• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310B: broken axle?

Aruba1

Hi guys, I have owned this 1977 for almost 2 yrs. Its in pretty good shape and has performed pretty good. Starts on the first crank in a 65 degree and up weather.

The PO told me to be careful because only 1 rear tire was foamfilled and it may be too much strain on the drivetrain and break an axle. A few months ago I was pushing a pile of dirt and I may have broken an axle (side that is foamfilled) as the wheel is locked. When I put the tractor in gear only the other wheel will turn. If the tractor is raised I can turn the wheel front/back about 2-3 inches. If I continue to play it will completely lock.

So, is it a broken axle? If so, how difficult is it to replace it? Any tricks I need to know?

Thanks,

Gio

jughead

Occupation
retired
axle

had that happen to me several years back. 555 ford. found planetary gears destroyed. 3k worth of parts to repair.

Aruba1

had that happen to me several years back. 555 ford. found planetary gears destroyed. 3k worth of parts to repair.

Oops, that is a lot of money. Did you pay someone to repair it? Anything I should know when taking it apart?

Thanks

jughead

Occupation
retired
axle

Oops, that is a lot of money. Did you pay someone to repair it? Anything I should know when taking it apart?

Thanks

my son and i did it. he was in high school. we had a floor jack and a cherry picker. dont remember needing any special tools. it was the only one i ever did. cant be a lot of help

Aruba1

If its so much money I may sell the rest for parts. The backhoe's hydraulic cylinder just came off the rod (brhhhh, moving the tractor around the house using the backhoe is not a good idea btw). So now the axle is messed up and the hydraulic cylinder is being repaird $$$.

chuck jacobs

Occupation
structural ironworker
same thing happened to my hoe when i loaned it to a friend. left rear was locked up .needed rebuilt planetary gears , shopped for used parts in heavy equipment trader magazine. found parts in salt lake city, dallas, and indianapolis. 3000.00 parts and 3000.00 labor hope you have better luck than me. chuck jacobs

djohnson256

Wheel bearing issue.

We just purchased a 310b for a very respectable price. Only known problem is with L/H rear outer wheel bearing, seal and guide. I'm curious as to the process of removing / replacing the axle / bearings. From the parts diagram on JD, I'm unable to determine what holds the axle in the housing. It looks as though when I pull the housing, the planetary carrier assy. comes off with the housing. Is there a keeper/bolt on the axle end inside the planetary carrier? If anyone here has experience with this, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Aruba1

Wow, I can't believe its been 2 years since I posted this thread. Just a quick update, I got in touch with a JD mechanic. I already had the wheel off and the battery removed. It took him about 3 hours to remove the housing. The carrier assembly was completely shattered including the drive shaft and outer ring gear axle housing. From the look of the housing, it does not appear as the outer ring gear axle will come off, it almost seem like it is built into the housing. Once the axle housing came off, he removed a bolt or two to get the planetary carrier off. The axle is still holding up so I believe there is another keeper/bolt that is holding it in place. Hope this helps.

Drc

I didn't think the 310B came out untill early 80's just a year or two before the C series of JD backhoes.

I 310 B has clutch and like 5 gear ratio in low and highrange?

Aruba1

I didn't think the 310B came out untill early 80's just a year or two before the C series of JD backhoes.

I 310 B has clutch and like 5 gear ratio in low and highrange?

You may be right. IIRC mine has 4 speed low and 4 speed high. PO said it was a 1977 :-(.

Aruba1

Another quick update. After some torch work, grinding and cutting I was finally able to make my own gear ring puller and the ring gear came out easily (if someone want to borrow it just drop me a line). Apparently JD makes the ring gear with only 3 half moon holes. At the factory they drilled 3 additional holes and because they did not use any templates, chances are that another used ring gear will not line up with your housing (don't ask how I know...). If that was not all, the Used and New ring gear that I purchased are the same thickness but about 1/8" thicker than the ring gear in my JD. I hope to get the milled gear next week. Btw, both the new and used ring gear are made from hardened steel, the one in the machine was not so probably this was the weakest link.