• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 410 drive problem

Digwizz

Can someone tell me if a 410 b would have separate pumps for drive and hydraulics? I have a 410 b sitting at my dad's that I never use since, as we all know, you never want to look at a tlb after you start using an excavator. Problem is, it leaks alot of hyd oil and my bothers use it occasionally not paying to much attention as to how much oil is in the hyd tank.:Banghead Now it doesn't want to drive, but the rest of the hydraulics are ok. I'm wondering where I should start to look to get to the bottom of the problem. Obviously I have to fix some leaks. What pump makes the wheels go around on this machine, how can I determine if it's toast, and where is it located?

Many thanks in advance!

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
If it has a shuttle, check the pressure to the clutch packs. Make sure the transaxle fluid is up on the stick first. Does it have a clutch pack pressure guage on the dash? I'm just guessing since I never had a 410B, but a 310A has an internal pump that charges both the shuttle and the hydraulic pump as best as I can remember. The B is probably different and the hydraulic pump for your hoe and loader is a completely separate system. Not sure..Phil

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Can someone tell me if a 410 b would have separate pumps for drive and hydraulics? I have a 410 b sitting at my dad's that I never use since, as we all know, you never want to look at a tlb after you start using an excavator. Problem is, it leaks alot of hyd oil and my bothers use it occasionally not paying to much attention as to how much oil is in the hyd tank.:Banghead Now it doesn't want to drive, but the rest of the hydraulics are ok. I'm wondering where I should start to look to get to the bottom of the problem. Obviously I have to fix some leaks. What pump makes the wheels go around on this machine, how can I determine if it's toast, and where is it located?

Many thanks in advance!

Digwizz---Like Phil surmized,a 410B has separate systems.Your problem is in the reverser---when you open the access door on the right side you will see 2 dipsticks.The lower placed one is your reverser,the other is your hydraulic system.I would advise unless you come up with maintenance records,change out ALL your hyd.oils and filters.There is an additional wire basket type cleanable screen in the reverser that often gets overlooked.If you have a 4X4,that reverser filter is a bear for access.It's a 1+9/16'' plug---a 1+5/8'' box wrench is the only tool that will work.

Digwizz

So you guys think there is a possiblity that I might have plugged filters/screen instead of a smoked pump? That would be great. My hoe is 2wd so the screen shouldn't be as hard to check. Is there a separate pump that charges the reverser.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
So you guys think there is a possiblity that I might have plugged filters/screen instead of a smoked pump? That would be great. My hoe is 2wd so the screen shouldn't be as hard to check. Is there a separate pump that charges the reverser.

Maybe,but check your fluid level first and it's condition of course.The screen isn't difficult to access---it's the actual filter on the reverser,but actually,now thinking that you say yours is a 4X2,you might have more room to work. Not sure, but doesn't matter,it has to be addressed.Not sure of a separate pump for the reverser but if I had to guess,I'd say no.

Phil

Occupation
Tuney443,
I'm curious about Digwizz's machine power train. Is there a torque converter followed by a forward/reverse shuttle, then a manual transmission? Or is it a powershift design? I want to save this info, in case I buy one someday. Thanks, Phil:)

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Tuney443,
I'm curious about Digwizz's machine power train. Is there a torque converter followed by a forward/reverse shuttle, then a manual transmission? Or is it a powershift design? I want to save this info, in case I buy one someday. Thanks, Phil:)

No Phil--no torque converter.He has a manual 4 speed tranny,3rd and 4th gears synchronized,followed by a forward/reverse shuttle or as Deere calls it --a reverser.I actually like this design better than my new 410G which has a powershift tranny because no matter what speed you were going,you could change direction on the fly,not having to worry about hurting anything.Tough as nails--I pulled many a 3-4' wheelie{unintentionally:rolleyes:}.Now,it seems like forever having to come to a complete stop before changing direction.

Phil

Occupation
Tuney443, is it similar to the 310A I had once? It had a clutch pedal for changing gears. I think it was called a disconnect clutch and meant to be used when the "reverser" was in neutral. As I remember the 310A was a direct drive machine and could stall going into a pile of dirt. Phil:)

headwrench

Occupation
mechanic for agriscape golf course construction
check your fluids try new filters first.the reverser does have its own seperate pump.pretty rare for them to just let go.does the machine move in either direction?look for signs of clutch material in the trans fluid.possible you have bad clutch packs.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Tuney443, is it similar to the 310A I had once? It had a clutch pedal for changing gears. I think it was called a disconnect clutch and meant to be used when the "reverser" was in neutral. As I remember the 310A was a direct drive machine and could stall going into a pile of dirt. Phil:)

No,completely different animal.When the B's came out,everything was changed--total new designs from the ground up. The B's put Deere ahead in the TLB market.