• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 455E Opinions

Lakeview

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here, as I just came upon this forum. Looks like a great place to be with a lot of info.
I need some opinions on a piece I am going to look at to purchase. Its a JD 455E crawler loader with a 4 in 1 bucket. Am told it is about 50% undercarriage. I am just going to use it around the farm. It is about 200 miles away and haven't had a chance to go physically look at it. I have seen pictures. I am told it has a noise in the top end, possibly the valve train, that is not very loud. It was supposedly running fine. They shut it off and haven't been using it. I am here for ideas on what it might be, and to look/listen for when I get to it. Also, what else should I be aware of on a well used machine of this model? And how does the price sound? $3500. It will cost me about $800 to get it home.
Thanks in advance for the advice. :usa

JoeinTX

Agree x 10.

Gauge by this eBay listing:

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGdC3dR...om/JOHN-DEERE-455E-W-4-1-BUCKET-/270597760420

In all-over good shape he's asking 3-4 times that price. The current owner is worried about a problem, small now but which could be big soon, and wants to unload it. Fair enough.

If you aren't experienced around diesels and/or equipment then I'd find someone who is to go with you and look at it, run it, listen to it, and get a better idea of the "problem" they are alluding to in trying to sell it. Could be minor in which case you get a steal plus a small repair bill to go with it. Could be high-priced scrap for which you'll pay a major repair bill to the local shop to get it back in regular working shape for you.

Just another $.02's worth.....

Lakeview

Thanks. Yes, I thought it is cheap even in rough shape. I served 12 years in the diesel business, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, and Peterbilt trucks in parts and service roles, so I've got a little background. Even worked for a JD equipment dealer in the late seventies, but don't remember much of that except everything sure was heavy. Listening to a running engine and saying it is a certain thing is just a guess. I am looking for the input to make my best guess, especially when you've never seen under the valve cover of a certain engine. I saw the machine on ebay, he's had lookers but no bids. Is it because he's too high? I always say you can a million dollars for something, its just finding the person to give it is the hard part.
Thanks for the input...