• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 490D Main Pump Regulator Spools

Grant Eckard

Hello, I've got an old 490d on my farm and it's been having hydraulic issues. The machine bogs down and starts billowing smoke when you try to run it. If the controls stay below half stroke it seems to run a lot better and the rpms keep up the second you call for full stroke it bogs the motor down and the hydraulics barely move. I had the dealer come out and test the system which showed a spool on the main pump was sticking. He told me to pull the cap off the top and see if they move up and down easily. The one closest to cab moves up and down fairly easily but the one towards the counterweight is quite stiff. Dealer recommended removing the spools and polishing with scratch cloth until they move freely and see if that fixes it (its an old farm machine, I'm not going to dump a bunch of money into a new pump). My question now is how do I get the spools to come out of the housing without breaking them. I tried pulling them up but they only get so far and then both stop in the same spot. My next thought was to carefully remove the block off the bottom and see if they will free up or slide out from the bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Excavator hydraulics are way out of my wheel house.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 21
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 20
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 20

biggerhammer

Are you sure the engine is performing? Sounds like a fuel issue-do a boost test and see what its doing, check the low pressure fuel supply.