• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 672CH fan hub

Ruahines

Occupation
fitter
We have had our JD running well for a couple of years now after my last posting here but all good things must come to an end.
Two days ago I was moving it to another area on the access track and got a sniff of what seemed to be an electrics cooking.
I went around the back of the machine and something didn't seem correct but I couldn't work out what.
After opening the engine bay door and then the fan bay door it was obvious what had happened as the fan wasn't turning. The smell was the belt slipping on the drive hub.
The drive hub had collapsed so I pulled it all out and am now waiting on parts. As we are now in the Pilbara and 250kms to Port Hedland I will be waiting a while.
My question is what torque the "Adjuster nut" should be when I re-assemble the hub. Preload like an automotive diff pinion or something more robust?
Any help will be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Ruahines

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Post a picture of the hub in question. Serial number of the machine would be a good thing too.

Screenshot 2022-10-30 at 5.48.01 AM.png

Ruahines

Occupation
fitter
The Pilbara heat must be getting to me as I thought I had added the serial #.
attached is the pic from the West Ozzie JD agent. parts in question are highlighted in yellow. adjuster nut is # 29
Serial # is
DW672CH595108
Thanks
Ruahines

Attachments

• fan hub.pdf
    345.1 KB · Views: 7

Ruahines

Occupation
fitter
MAny thanks for that. I will have to fabricate a tool to do the nut up. Now we wait for the parts to arrive n Port Hedland 225 kms away!

Ruahines

Ruahines

Occupation
fitter
Parts arrived, tool fabricated, everything assembled and the beast has been working hard in very hot weather. We have finished in The Pilbara for this year as it is now too bloody hot and the wet part of the year is here.
We moved back to the Northern Goldfields where it only gets to 42 celcius on a hot day!
Lets hope that 2023 is a better year than 2022 and may all you helpful people prosper.

Ruahines